You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-28 14:12:53

cjdj

Printing in GTK apps cause app to lockup for a few [SOLVED]

On my laptop I dont normally have a printer hooked to it directly.  Normally I would create PDF's or PS files and transfer them to one of my other systems and print from there.

However, now I have a HP PSC 1410 that is working on the laptop.  I have it setup in CUPS and both printer and scanner parts are working perfectly.... from KDE based apps.   

Whenever I try and print anything from Firefox, or OpenOffice, I get a significant delay (upwards of 10 minutes) before the dialog box opens, and when it does it doesnt show the printer that was setup in CUPS.

On my other systems, printing from firefox never caused any problems.

I had noticed this behaviour before I installed this current printer, and I am suspicious that I might have messed something up when trying to setup network printing to a windows machine some time ago.

I've been looking and looking and kind find any problem with settings, nor can I google for help because the only terms I can think of to describe the problem are so generic that I get nothing that relates to my problem. 

Anyone had this problem?  Anyone got an idea on where to start?    In a possibly related note, my vmware has a delay in it when starting up too.   Havent nailed that one down either. 

Archlinux has been installed on this laptop since before 0.6 was released, so its not a new installation.

#2 2006-06-28 15:19:17

cjdj

Re: Printing in GTK apps cause app to lockup for a few [SOLVED]

Ok, I found the problem.   While looking at some gtk stuff, I discovered gtklp.  When I ran it, the first time it seemed to get stuck.  So I figured that there must be something wrong with some gtk settings somewhere.  I let it sit for a few minutes and then killed the process.

After messing around some more, I tried it again, same thing.  This time I didnt kill it.  After quite some time, it came back with an error saying that it couldnt connect to 192.168.4.110.   That happened to be the IP address of my old server that is no longer there.  That got me curious, so I did a search for files containing that string, and found /etc/cups/client.conf.   I looked in there and had ServerName set to that IP.   I must of done that at some point trying out something.  Putting ServerName at 127.0.0.1 seems to have fixed my printing problems. 

I figured it was something stupid I did a long time ago, and I was at least right about that smile

Board footer