You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-16 02:01:24

stanna

[SOLVED] HOWTO setup bridge network with qemu/kvm

hi all,

i have been struggling with this for 2 weeks now. I am wanting to setup a few VM's within qemu/kvm most likely using virt-manager as a gui to assist. all is well except my uphill battle getting a bridged network to work. can anybody please assist with getting this going? might be worth starting from the beginning..

I have tried many times through the virt-manager gui and am getting all sorts of errors i simply dont understand. I basically want to have 2 VM's both with full access to the host network if possible. its as easy as pie in both vmware and virtualbox but i would like to move everything over to arch with qemu/kvm and ditch my centos server running vmware.

If any further information is required i will provide. this has been a great learning experience but now my google kungfu is failing me.

Thanks in advance smile

Last edited by stanna (2017-06-19 06:18:10)

#2 2017-06-16 04:39:11

stanna

Re: [SOLVED] HOWTO setup bridge network with qemu/kvm

well i think i have managet to get it working as in its working! BUT in xfce the network-manager icon is showing an X indicating no connected network but everything is working with an "unknown" IP address. The VM now has an ip address and working on the network correctly.

I followed this :: http://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-cre … d-manjaro/

creating a file "/etc/netctl/kvm-bridge" with the below

Description="Bridge Interface br10 : eno1,tap0"
Interface=br10
Connection=bridge
BindsToInterfaces=(eno1 tap0)
IP=dhcp
# If you want also for DHCPv6,uncomment below line
#IP6=dhcp

then set the NIC to br10 in virt-manager and viola it worked.

just curious if i can get my normal NIC to show the IP address as normal or does everything have to go through this BR10 now? which then leads the question how do i set that as the default to show as connected in network-manager-applet in XFCE4?

Last edited by stanna (2017-06-16 04:41:56)

#3 2017-06-16 23:50:33

Ropid

I have the same setup, using netctl and creating a bridge adapter and tap adapters with it, and used this setup in Gnome and KDE. I didn't care about what the connection tool was showing so I ignored that. About the system monitor tools and their network traffic graph, for those I remember I could solve problems by editing config files.

About that article you linked to, the only thing I'd want to add is that I think that "MACAddressOf=..." option does not exist. I solved that bridge adapter link address issue by assigning an address to the tap adapters manually that starts with an "fe" so that it always sorts behind the ethernet adapter's address. Here's for example something randomly generated:

$ printf "fe"; for i in {1..5}; do printf ":%02x" $((RANDOM % 256)); done; printf "\n"
fe:64:11:59:3e:54

I then used the "IPCustom=" option in the tap adapter config for netctl:

Interface=tap0
IPCustom=("link set tap0 address fe:64:11:59:3e:54")

#4 2017-06-19 06:17:52

stanna

@Ropid - thanks for that. i have slowly been getting my head around it. its a whole new world for me! Thanks smile

marked as closed.

Board footer