You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-28 16:50:01

EAD

Problem with nvidia moudle after compiling my own kernel

Hii, Many times after making my own kernel like kernek26CK I cant get X run, so I do pacman -S nvidia-ck , or what ever, but then when it tries to install the module I get an error saying that it can't find /proce/nvidia module and that maybe X is runing( while it's not, I even got the init 3 or even 1 and killall kdm or gdm), So what can I do to fix it up guys?
:?:

#2 2006-06-28 17:09:17

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Problem with nvidia moudle after compiling my own kernel

nvidia has to be recompiled for a custom kernel, as do almost all modules.  You can use abs to do this.

#3 2006-06-28 17:53:18

EAD

really?
Why is that?
and, can you tell me where can I find a nice nvidia module for CK to compile it in my /var/abs plase?

#4 2006-06-28 18:04:22

lumiwa

EAD wrote:

really?
Why is that?
and, can you tell me where can I find a nice nvidia module for CK to compile it in my /var/abs plase?

Maybe this link:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ABS

#5 2006-06-28 18:40:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

EAD wrote:

really?
Why is that?

All modules, no matter what they are, are tied to one specific kernel.  This is by design.  That is why you have multiple directories (one for each kernel) in /lib/modules/.  The nvidia driver, in the repos, is compiled for the stock kernel.

The old nvidia package used to use nvidia's installer, and thus could be easilly rebuilt.  The new package no longer uses nvidia's installer (this is a good thing).  Thus you have to rebuild it yourself.

EAD wrote:

Copy the existing nvidia module PKGBUILD, rename it to nvidia-ck and change the kernel version setting.

#6 2006-06-28 18:51:08

EAD

phrakture wrote:
EAD wrote:

really?
Why is that?

All modules, no matter what they are, are tied to one specific kernel.  This is by design.  That is why you have multiple directories (one for each kernel) in /lib/modules/.  The nvidia driver, in the repos, is compiled for the stock kernel.

The old nvidia package used to use nvidia's installer, and thus could be easilly rebuilt.  The new package no longer uses nvidia's installer (this is a good thing).  Thus you have to rebuild it yourself.

EAD wrote:

Copy the existing nvidia module PKGBUILD, rename it to nvidia-ck and change the kernel version setting.

Why is it good that nvidia dont have an install any more?
and yes I knew I have multiple directories , what I don't understand that if I make my own CK kernel, why can't I use PACMAN -S nvidia-ck ??

#7 2006-06-28 18:52:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

because there is no nvidia-ck package
edit:
I am mistaken: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … =1&ID=5445

#8 2006-06-28 18:55:04

brain0
Developer

If you use the exact same version string (uname -r) for your kernel that the original -ck kernel from community uses, then you could be able to use the prebuilt nvidia-ck module. You might have some incompatibilities though.

All Arch kernels use this trick for not having to rebuild all modules on a minor bugfix release, and it worked so far (although there is no guarantee for this).

Board footer