You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-20 13:32:03

schapman

AUR package rstudio-desktop builds manually, but yaourt fails.

The AUR package rstudio-desktop builds fine using makepkg, but fails when using yaourt.

Specifically the build fails with the following error:

CMake Error: Parse error in cache file /tmp/yaourt-tmp-schapman/aur-rstudio-desktop/src/rstudio-rstudio-adca7c8/CMakeCache.txt on line 413. Offending entry: Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).

Line 413 of this file is blank, but 412 has an error:

411 //Git Revision Hash
412 RSTUDIO_GIT_REVISION_HASH:STRING=fatal: Not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /)

My questions are:
- Where should I report this?
- Is this kind of issue common?
- Do most Arch users typically use an AUR helper, or build the packages directly?

#2 2017-06-20 14:21:45

mcmillan

Re: AUR package rstudio-desktop builds manually, but yaourt fails.

By default it's building in /tmp, but bigger packages can be larger than the space in the tmpfs. Yaourt has an option for changing where it builds, though I can't help point exactly how to change as I haven't used yaourt for a long time

#3 2017-06-20 14:23:51

V1del
Forum Moderator

Does the same happen if you build it outside of tmpfs (set yaourt's builddir to some path in your home)? You are likely running out of RAM  and it can't completely finish the build. Which leads us to your questions:

1) Likely nowhere as it probably is an issue on your end
2) Depends, it can and does happen when compiling huge projects, but yeah AUR helpers can sometimes introduce strange behaviour because they have certain assumptions, or muck about with environment variables.
3) Depends on ones preference, however as far as official support goes, it is usually advised to try makepkg and chalk it up to a helper issue if it works with that.

#4 2017-06-20 14:29:35

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: moving to AUR Issues.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2017-06-20 14:31:16

Lone_Wolf

1. https://github.com/archlinuxfr/yaourt/issues

2 . common enough to make the first question when having a problem building with yaourt : does it work with makepkg ?

Varies  a lot, but consensus is that users need to learn/understand how to do things manually before using any aur helper.
Once you reached that point, check https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AU … ison_table

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2017-06-20 15:05:27

schapman

Thank you for the prompt replies. I'd like to reiterate that I have a working rstudio-desktop build, so I'm just trying to figure out why yaourt fails to build it. At this point I'm just satisfying my curiosity about the build system and hopefully generating a useful report to send to the yaourt maintainers.

As far as memory goes, I have 32GB of RAM and no swap partition. I can fully list out my hardware if it helps.

To take memory out of the equation by building in my home directory as suggested, I set TMPDIR in /etc/yaourtrc to "/home/schapman/tmp" and tried again. I got a different error this time:

CMake Error: Parse error in cache file /home/schapman/tmp/yaourt-tmp-schapman/aur-rstudio-desktop/src/rstudio-rstudio-adca7c8/CMakeCache.txt on line 413. Offending entry: Use '--' to separate paths from revisions, like this:
CMake Error: Parse error in cache file /home/schapman/tmp/yaourt-tmp-schapman/aur-rstudio-desktop/src/rstudio-rstudio-adca7c8/CMakeCache.txt on line 414. Offending entry: 'git <command> [<revision>...] -- [<file>...]'
CMake Error: Parse error in cache file /home/schapman/tmp/yaourt-tmp-schapman/aur-rstudio-desktop/src/rstudio-rstudio-adca7c8/CMakeCache.txt on line 415. Offending entry: HEAD
-- Boost version: 1.64.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
--   date_time
--   filesystem
--   iostreams
--   program_options
--   regex
--   signals
--   system
--   thread
--   chrono
--   atomic
-- Found R: /usr/lib64/R
-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "/home/schapman/tmp/yaourt-tmp-schapman/aur-rstudio-desktop/src/rstudio-rstudio-adca7c8/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also "/home/schapman/tmp/yaourt-tmp-schapman/aur-rstudio-desktop/src/rstudio-rstudio-adca7c8/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
make: *** [Makefile:360: cmake_check_build_system] Error 1

The specific segment of CMakeCache it's complaining about now reads:

//Git Revision Hash
RSTUDIO_GIT_REVISION_HASH:STRING=fatal: ambiguous argument 'HEAD': unknown revision or path not in the working tree.

I have copied the relevant files to a pastebin:
CMakeCache.txt: https://pastebin.com/dv7H5jvH
CMakeOutput.log: https://pastebin.com/ffxcsfXA
CMakeError.log: https://pastebin.com/Kbpfku2r

Notably, according to CMakeError.log the build failed to find the pthread_create function.

EDIT: I have confirmed that with the original /tmp directory, CMakeError.log still has this pthread issue - I had only included the first error message in the OP rather than hunting this down. My apologies. I have additionally found that pacaur builds this package correctly. I can test other AUR helpers if there is interest.

Thanks again for looking into this.

Last edited by schapman (2017-06-20 17:56:54)

Board footer