You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-22 15:08:43

Batou

Cinnamon: Session error after the latest update

Hi all,
After I did an update this morning, I couldn't get Cinnamon session working. Mutter just presented me with an error box saying that cinnamon-settings-daemon or cinnamon-session-daemon could not be found. I had to roll back the update to get back session.

Here's the .xession-errors

~ $ cat .xsession-errors
mdm-binary[686]: DEBUG: Forking extra process: /etc/mdm/PreSession/Default
syndaemon: no process found
mdm-binary[686]: DEBUG: Running /etc/mdm/Xsession cinnamon-session-cinnamon for nsb on :0
/etc/mdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/mdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- cinnamon-session-cinnamon
cinnamon-session[686]: WARNING: t+0.00197s: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit': no such name
cinnamon-session[686]: WARNING: t+0.00746s: Unable to find required component 'cinnamon-settings-daemon'
Gtk-Message: GtkDialog mapped without a transient parent. This is discouraged.

These are the updates that were installed and I'm not sure which of them is the culprit. Anyway, if you use cinnamon, make sure you can roll back if things go south.

cinnamon-3.4.2-1  cinnamon-control-center-3.4.0-1  cinnamon-menus-3.4.0-1  cinnamon-screensaver-3.4.1-1  cinnamon-session-3.4.1-1 cinnamon-settings-daemon-3.4.2-1  cjs-3.4.1-1  gucharmap-10.0.0-1  muffin-3.4.0-1

Anyone have any ideas?

Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure"  first)

#2 2017-06-22 15:40:49

archingforward

Re: Cinnamon: Session error after the latest update

Hey Batou, I had the same issue, seems to be solved now. Take a look at https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=227523

#3 2017-06-22 16:03:16

Batou

Thanks archingforward! Will wait for another day before I attempt again. LOL
I'm now delaying all cinnamon-related updates by at least a day from now on. This is the second time Cinnamon update messed me up wink

Please vote for all the AUR packages you're using. You can mass-vote for all of them by doing: "pacman -Qqm | xargs aurvote -v" (make sure to run "aurvote --configure"  first)

#4 2017-06-22 16:34:02

archingforward

You may want to check for updates again, I think they fixed the issue.

Sounds like a wise approach. I may join you on that.

#5 2017-06-22 17:41:21

Batou

I had some free time after lunch today so I made snapshot and gave update another try. This time the session did come up but I got some errors. The main issue are applets. Apparently, many things changes since the last time Cinnamon was updated and some applets are broken. I managed to fix few of them by following this:

https://github.com/Koutch/Cinnamon-soun … e/issues/8

Board footer