You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-25 10:25:39

David López

Music CDs unrecognized (Gnome)

I use fully updated 64 bits arch with gnome in Spanish, and I have an internal ASUS DVD player/recorder. It used to work perfectly, but now the music CDs are not recognized. I mean, if I insert a data CD, everything works as it's expected, for example I can see the contents on nautilus. If I insert a DVD-Video I can also see the contents on nautilus, reproduce it with VLC... However, when I insert a music CD nothing happens: the CD doesn't appear neither on nautilus nor on rhythmbox.

If I power on my computer with the music CD inserted, then it is recognized by nautilus or rhythmbox. However, if I eject and reinsert it (or other different music CD), it won't be recognized unless I restart the computer with the CD inserted.

Any idea what could be wrong? Thanks.

#2 2017-06-25 15:00:56

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Music CDs unrecognized (Gnome)

Post the output of lsblk and journalctl when the CD is inserted by not recognized.

#3 2017-06-25 15:07:57

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Music CDs unrecognized (Gnome)

I do not use Gnome, Nautilus or Rhythmbox so I cannot be of much help there.  But, be aware that music CDs do not have a file system (per se).  The "Files" you may see on a music CD in a file manager like nautilus are artificial entities that are created to model what a file system on that CD might look like if it actually had one.  If you "copy" such a file to a disk, what you are actually doing a transcoding (ripping) that track to a file.  You cannot really mount a CD and have access to the "Files" even though file managers make it appear so.  DVDs, on the other hand, do have a file system, can be mounted, and you can access the files on those disks (CSS not withstanding)

I cannot provide specifics as to what is wrong, but I would investigate any tools you have installed that handle automount of drives.  Also check you journal for clues.  Be aware that the mechanism that nautilus will have to use to detect a music CD is different that that mechanism that would be used by a data CD (which does have a file system), or a DVD

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer