You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-28 20:03:12

TiborB

LXDM - random failure to login / Message: USER_LIST fail

Hi,
sometimes I am not able to login via LXDM after boot of PC.

My greeter should show my login and I should just type my password. But in this case it does not know about my name and if I type login and password I am rejected. Also restart/shutdown buttons are non-functional. In lxdm.log.old I found this:

sendto: Connection refused

What is important, this usually happens after filesystem check on /home partition. I have to make it restart and then the greeter is proper (with my name offered) and I can login normally

Installed are:
    community/lxdm 0.5.3-4
    community/lxdm-gtk3

Anybody with this issue?

#2 2017-07-05 20:06:25

randomguy

Re: LXDM - random failure to login / Message: USER_LIST fail

sendto: Connection refused

I believe that might have something to do with accountsservice not being installed or started during boot.

Accountsservice is not installed on my system. I use lightdm and have the following in my journal:

lightdm[472]: Error getting user list from org.freedesktop.Accounts: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.Accounts was not provided by any .service files

It lets me login manually and through autologin just fine.

You could try installing accountsservice and see whether that will let you login successfully. I suspect that there could be a different reason for the failed login as the absence of this service alone shouldn't be a reason for login failure but I don't know how LXDM handles this.

#3 2017-07-05 20:24:17

TiborB

Well, I have no accountsservice service installed, but as I said, it usually starts properly so this specific service is not a problem here, though it can issue of timing of another one.

#4 2017-07-07 08:53:10

icedaddy

Hi TiborB
I too experience this same issue occasionally and have done for the passed year or so. I'm running Manjaro LXDE. It is only occasional so I have lived with doing the odd restart when the 'wrong' login screen comes up.
However, since last week when there was a major (Manjaro) update, I am having issues generally with login (https://forum.manjaro.org/t/boot-fail-a … u=icedaddy) (there are indications this may be Arch related rather than specific to Manjaro) which got me looking at the boot sequence (I'm no Linux expert) but my feeling is my current issue, and indeed this LXDE greeting issue, may result from some subtle timing issue in the boot sequence.
Sorry can't give you any specific help but you're not the only one seeing this.
Cheers

#5 2017-07-07 15:14:36

TiborB

Hi,
I am not able to open your link (I hope only temporarily), but I am kind of glad that I am not the one who has this issue smile

#6 2017-07-07 15:54:58

icedaddy

Sorry, try https://forum.manjaro.org/t/boot-fail-a … date/27132. This is a different issue and I don't think related other than my opinion that they both may be due to some weird timing issue in the boot up sequence. I have tried to compare journal logs of good and bad boots but I am not knowledgeable enough to know what is significant and what's not.

#7 2017-07-07 21:52:12

randomguy

TiborB wrote:

Well, I have no accountsservice service installed, but as I said, it usually starts properly so this specific service is not a problem here, though it can issue of timing of another one.

I tried to work of what you gave me. A journal of a boot with the issue present would probably help. If you still believe it can be triggered by fsck, there are guides as to how to force that in the wiki.

#8 2017-07-08 17:23:15

TiborB

Do you mean something like this (providing I restarted the PC):

journalctl --boot=-1

I will investigate that next time it happens

Board footer