You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-01 09:25:53

Linuxplorer

[SOLVED]Zynaddsubfx synth no sound

I recently installed the Zsynaddsubfx synth program and getting no sound output. I have sound from VLC, youtube, games etc so that part of the sound system appears to be working.

There are three menu options for Zynaddsubfx

Zsybaddsubfx
 Zsynaddsubfx - ALSA
 Zsynaddsubfx - JACK. 

Each one gives the same message when starting.

Default IO did not initialize.
Defaulting to NULL backend.

Setting the Audio and MIDI to either ALSA or JACK in the program does not resolve this issue.
Using the keyboard input the program indicates it is generating audio but it is not getting routed to my ears.

Starting Zynaddsubfx in a terminal gives the following:

ZynAddSubFX - Copyright (c) 2002-2013 Nasca Octavian Paul and others
                Copyright (c) 2009-2016 Mark McCurry [active maintainer]
Compiled: Dec  4 2016 11:03:40
This program is free software (GNU GPL v2 or later) and 
it comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

Try 'zynaddsubfx --help' for command-line options.

Sample Rate = 		44100
Sound Buffer Size = 	256 samples
Internal latency = 	5.8 ms
ADsynth Oscil.Size = 	1024 samples
lo server running on 18081
[INFO] Nio::start()
Starting Audio: JACK
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
jackd 0.125.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK is running in realtime mode, but you are not allowed to use realtime scheduling.
Please check your /etc/security/limits.conf for the following line
and correct/add it if necessary:

@audio          -       rtprio          99

After applying these changes, please re-login in order for them to take effect.

You don't appear to have a sane system configuration. It is very likely that you
encounter xruns. Please apply all the above mentioned changes and start jack again!
connect(2) call to /dev/shm/jack-1000/default/jack_0 failed (err=No such file or directory)
attempt to connect to server failed
Error, failed to open jack client on server:  status 17
Error, NULL jackClient through Start()
ERROR: The default audio output failed to open!
Starting MIDI: JACK
jackd 0.125.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details

JACK is running in realtime mode, but you are not allowed to use realtime scheduling.
Please check your /etc/security/limits.conf for the following line
and correct/add it if necessary:

@audio          -       rtprio          99

After applying these changes, please re-login in order for them to take effect.

You don't appear to have a sane system configuration. It is very likely that you
encounter xruns. Please apply all the above mentioned changes and start jack again!
attempt to connect to server failed
Error, failed to open jack client on server:  status 17
Error, NULL jackClient through Start()
ERROR: The default MIDI input failed to open!
[INFO] exec-after-init
[INFO] startup OSC
[INFO] UI calbacks
[INFO] OSC replay
midi list updating...
[INFO] auto_save setup
[INFO] NSM Stuff
[INFO] LASH Stuff
[INFO] Main Loop...

I added '@audio          -       rtprio          99' to the limits.conf and restarted but still get the same results.

The referenced folders under /dev/shm indeed do not exist.
I did not knowingly install JACK so I'm not sure if it is part of the base install or not.
I installed QJackCtl and did not find any solution with that.
Came across a post indicating that pam had somehow resolved the issue but did not find anything there that I understood.

I'm out in the weeds here and don't know how to continue troubleshooting this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution: (for me at least)

I did some more research and came to the conclusion that JACK itself either was not installed or configured properly in some way.
I uninstalled JACK and installed JACK2 instead. Simply because it was a different software. Removing JACK also removed a number of other softwares including zynaddsubfx. QJackCtl now starts JACK successfully and I was able to patch Zynaddsubfx outputs to the system audio outputs. Zynaddsubfx now makes noise!

It would have been nice to have determined exactly what the problem was, but at least things are working now.

Last edited by Linuxplorer (2017-07-01 12:15:56)

#2 2017-07-02 03:03:50

tom.ty89

Re: [SOLVED]Zynaddsubfx synth no sound

You need to add your user to the audio group, thats what the line in limits.conf for. (You don't need to add the line yourself because the jack package ships a conf with that in limits.d).

Also if you use the same sound card for jack/Zsynaddsubfx and other stuff, you may want to configure pulseaudio to work with jack so that you can have sounds from all of them simultaneously. Otherwise you will need to make sure pulse isn't grabbing the hardware when you start jack/Zsynaddsubfx, at the very least.

Last edited by tom.ty89 (2017-07-02 03:04:40)

#3 2017-07-02 11:27:53

Linuxplorer

tom.ty89 wrote:

You need to add your user to the audio group, thats what the line in limits.conf for. (You don't need to add the line yourself because the jack package ships a conf with that in limits.d).

I had already added myself to the audio group. Didn't think to mention that. Sorry.
I do see a 99-audio.conf with that entry. I imagine that what you are talking about? Unfortunately I never came across that in my research. Thanks for pointing it out.

Also if you use the same sound card for jack/Zsynaddsubfx and other stuff, you may want to configure pulseaudio to work with jack so that you can have sounds from all of them simultaneously. Otherwise you will need to make sure pulse isn't grabbing the hardware when you start jack/Zsynaddsubfx, at the very least.

Yeah! That's what I'm dealing with now!

Even though I have used Mint Linux for some time now, everything was pretty much done for you. I'm really enjoying setting things up for myself with Arch but there is so much to learn that it is slow going at times putting things together. I can really appreciate the work people like Mint do to put a distro together.

#4 2018-12-13 22:00:39

supersingularisogeny

For me invoking

zynaddsubfx -I pa -O pa

with pulseaudio set-up got the virtual keyboard to output sound smile.

#5 2018-12-14 00:51:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer