You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-03 17:07:06

rabarrett

Possible combined mkinitcpio and broadcom-wl-dkms issue

Previously I had the problem that everytime the kernel updated I would lose my broadcom-wl driver.  I thought I solved that several months ago by switching to the broadcom-wl-dkms driver, but it doesn't seem to be working.  A few days ago I lost my wireless access again.

I have two main questions:

(1) Can you help me understand why I lost wireless access this time and how it might be connected to a error with a kernel update involving mkinitcpio?

(2) Is there a good way I can use the new pacman hooks to avoid having to solve such future problems by resorting to using an ethernet connection?  (currently the ethernet connection is very far from my desktop in the house and it is a pain to have to solve these wireless problems by using ethernet

I think the mkinitcpio and broadcom issues may be related because before reinstalling broadcom-wl-dkms I ran

pacman -Syu

and got this:

:: Running post-transaction hooks...
(1/9) Updating linux initcpios
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'default'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Starting build: 4.11.7-1-ARCH
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [autodetect]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]
==> Generating module dependencies
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
==> Image generation successful
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset: 'fallback'
  -> -k /boot/vmlinuz-linux -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img -S autodetect
==> Starting build: 4.11.7-1-ARCH
  -> Running build hook: [base]
  -> Running build hook: [udev]
  -> Running build hook: [modconf]
  -> Running build hook: [block]
  -> Running build hook: [filesystems]
  -> Running build hook: [keyboard]
  -> Running build hook: [fsck]

gzip: /tmp/mkinitcpio.w2o5gD/root/lib/modules/4.11.7-1-ARCH/kernel/rxrpc.ko.gz: invalid compressed data--format violated
==> Generating module dependencies
depmod: ERROR: failed to load symbols from /tmp/mkinitcpio.w2o5gD/root/lib/modules/4.11.7-1-ARCH/kernel/rxrpc.ko.gz: Invalid argument
==> Creating gzip-compressed initcpio image: /boot/initramfs-linux-fallback.img
==> WARNING: errors were encountered during the build. The image may not be complete.
error: command failed to execute correctly

I've found some reddit articles on the second question, but they're directed more at people using the broadcom-wl instead of the dkms one.

What other log or system info would be useful for me to provide as part of troubleshooting?

Board footer