You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-05 01:04:07

plenus

Plasma 5: missing all printers for many applications in printer dialog

Sometime during the last few days something broke in my installation. All applications have just "lost" their knowledge of my physical  printer (actually a monochrome-configured Samsung CLP-315 driver version and a color-configured Samsung CLP-315 driver version of my printer).

All drivers are working fine when I use the web administration interface or the CLI administration interface of CUPS. I can print the CUPS test page fine. I also see all the printers when I use the GTK-based system-config-printers utility or the Plasma printer configuration applet from system settings.

Whenever I try to print something in any common plasma application, for instance, Okular or Calligra, the print dialog takes a bit more time than it used to take, but it opens only with the virtual print-to-pdf printer to choose. All applications used to show three printers: PDF, the monochrome printer and the color printer.

I started searching for it on the internet and I've found that installing "gtk3-print-backends" could help with GTK3-based applications. Although I didn't uninstall anything and I didn't have this package installed before, after I installed it I became able to see all printers again in Firefox and Evince, but not in Libreoffice and not in any QT or Plasma application that I tried.

I've searched for and removed all qt5-related packages that I had previously installed from AUR. I've also looked for error messages in obvious places, but I've found none.

My system is running the latest packages as of today. I use only the Plasma DE (KDE). Installed version of Plasma is 5.10.3-1.

1) Since installing gtk3-print-backends solved some of the problems with GTK, do I need an equivalent package for KDE? Which is it?

2) Is there anything that I missed and I should install, remove or reinstall?

#2 2017-07-05 01:08:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Plasma 5: missing all printers for many applications in printer dialog

Read the CUPS page on the wiki: it is the second sentence.

Reopened because I fucked up.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-07-05 04:16:40

Scimmia
Fellow

Unfortunately, it seem that cups 2.24 is buggy.
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54695

#4 2017-07-05 04:38:01

FarStar07

Hello,
Same problem here but installing a2ps package (+ deleting and re-adding printer in CUPS + restart) has fixed the problem on my system.
Edit: on another system, this "solution" doesn't work sad

Last edited by FarStar07 (2017-07-05 05:10:31)

#5 2017-07-05 23:53:10

DanielH

Hello.

Same problem in all my four Arch systems.

I think this issue is not Desktop Environment nor graphic framework (GTK|Qt) strictly related: at my home three of them have LXQt DE; and one at another location has spectrwm WM (no Qt dependencies at all) and different printers attached, all of them faces the same problem.

@arojas
I think that is not only a Qt + CUPs 2.2.4 issue, some GTK based apps suffer this problem too, and some Qt based apps can print normally...

Some tests:
1. I can print text files from command line, and I can print a Test Page from CUPS web interface.
2. FreeCAD (Qt4 based, no gtk2|3 deps) shows my printer in Print dialog, and then prints drawings normally.
3. Chromium (gtk3 based, no Qt4|5 deps) doesn't show any printer, only Print to PDF is available.
4. KiCAD Eeschema (wxgtk -> gtk2 based) shows my printer in Print dialog, and then prints schematic pages normally.
5. Arduino (gtk2 and java-runtime based) shows my printer in Print dialog, and then prints scketches normally.
6. Audacity (wxgtk -> gtk2 based) shows my printer in Print dialog, and then prints waveforms normally.

Sadly, I have no more GTK based apps installed to test if they have print issues.

Best regards,
DanielH

#6 2017-07-06 00:48:47

Potomac

Hello,

for the moment the workaround is to downgrade the version of packages "cups" and "libcups"  to the version 2.2.3,

and wait if upstream can fix this bug

Last edited by Potomac (2017-07-06 00:51:07)

#7 2017-07-06 00:59:01

Scimmia
Fellow

DanielH, your post is completely off topic. Cups is broken with Qt5 right now, you didn't even test that. GTK3 issues are completely separate and come from not paying attention to what pacman tells you

#8 2017-07-06 14:09:03

DanielH

@Scimmia:

I'm sorry, I understand your points, but:

GTK3 issues are completely separate and come from not paying attention to what pacman tells you

You're right, my fault!!! I beg your pardon...

But...
I've installed gtk3-print-backends, and Chromium (gtk3 based, no Qt4|5 deps) refuses to show my physical printer (again), only Save as PDF is available (and Google Cloud Print, which no matters).
Manage.. link for Local Destinations in Chromium Select a Destination print dialog doesn't work at all, too.

So, at least one gtk3 based app is suffering this issue (unless I'm totally wrong).
Could you kindly tell me what other test can I perform on Chromium, to rule out false results on this bug?

Cups is broken with Qt5 right now, you didn't even test that

I didn't test this issue on Qt5 apps, because I know that after cups and libcups update to 2.2.4, none of them can print (BTW, the vast majorie of apps that I habitually use are Qt5 based).

So I tested this issue on gtk2, gtk3 and qt4 apps that I have installed, and then I posted my results in case they are useful...

arojas at https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54695 stated that

This is a regression from https://github.com/apple/cups/commit/75 … 8fad216b74, it affects all Qt applications.

and filing a bug to CUPS developers at https://github.com/apple/cups/issues/5046

With CUPS 2.2.4, no printers show up in the Qt print dialog on Linux. The printers are correctly configured in the CUPS web interface and show up in the GTK print dialog. This regressed in commit

So I did not understand that this issue is only Qt5 related (Qt4 not affected)... perhaps due my poor english skill (I'm argentinian and only speak spanish, Google Translator helps me to post).

Best regards, and thanks all for your patience,

DanielH

#9 2017-07-09 01:14:43

Potomac

The problem is not solved for me :

--> Arojas has forgot to update also the package " lib32-libcups", some printers with 32 bits driver need this

--> the bug is still here on firefox and thunderdid : I don't see my printer "canon LBP3000", in Qt applications and GTK2 applications ( gimp ) I can see my printer

I use plasma 5, with the oxygen theme

Last edited by Potomac (2017-07-09 01:28:56)

#10 2017-07-09 01:31:34

Potomac

finally the firefox problem is solved by installing this package :

https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extr … -backends/

but the package "lib32-libcups" needs to be recompiled in order to have the fix,

I have rebuilt "lib32-libcups" package with the patch "cupsGetDests.diff" and it solves the problem,

I notice that the print dialog GUI takes  more time to be displayed with cups 2.2.4 version than the previous version, it doesn't seem normal

Last edited by Potomac (2017-07-09 02:13:01)

Board footer