You are not logged in.

#476 2009-07-04 23:33:31

Fludae

Re: Laptops which run Arch

Dell XPS m1730 - Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.5, 4g RAM, 250g hd, Geforce 8700m GT, Dell WLAN 1395 card, etc. Only installed arch about two weeks ago, still configuring it and learning more... Took awhile to get wireless working using the broadcom-wl linux driver, same with testing video drivers/configuring xorg/fixing resolution recognition. Apart from those two minor problems all the major stuff is working peachy. Haven't tried figuring out how to get the mini-LCD panel above my keyboard and the sound buttons on the front working... Still completely obsessed with configuring my DE right now.

edit :: hardware info

Last edited by Fludae (2009-07-04 23:40:06)

#477 2009-07-05 11:10:30

whompus

I have Arch running on a Lenovo Thinkpad W700 Intel Q9000, Nvidia Quadro FX3700M. The dmraid setup was an absolute pain due to some issues with the Intel ICH9 controller. Wireless and flashcard readers work fine, bluetooth, express card not tried yet, wacom tablet working but not in absolute mode yet still need to try and configure it properly, X-rite colour calibrator and fingerprint reader not working.

Last edited by whompus (2009-07-05 12:40:10)

#478 2009-07-07 08:12:40

blazingbazooka

I'm running Arch on my HP dv6700. big_smile

#479 2009-07-07 13:44:05

onederer

Mr. bazooka:

Congrats.  You've succeeded where I couldn't. You have the same model HP laptop that I have. Had I been able to put the Arch image on a USB flash drive, I'd be using it now.  But the "dd" commands needed to get that done, just would not cooperate. And trying to install it using a CDROM platter, to a flash memory, didn't work either.  Anyway, since I couldn't setup the "live" version to do wirless networking, after many hours of trying, I finally had to give up.
When things like that happens, one needs answers as quickly as possible. This can't be accomplished via slow one-at-a-time forum exchanges.

cheers!

#480 2009-07-07 19:55:44

greenfish

onederer wrote:

Mr. bazooka:

Congrats.  You've succeeded where I couldn't. You have the same model HP laptop that I have. Had I been able to put the Arch image on a USB flash drive, I'd be using it now.  But the "dd" commands needed to get that done, just would not cooperate. And trying to install it using a CDROM platter, to a flash memory, didn't work either.  Anyway, since I couldn't setup the "live" version to do wirless networking, after many hours of trying, I finally had to give up.
When things like that happens, one needs answers as quickly as possible. This can't be accomplished via slow one-at-a-time forum exchanges.

cheers!

They have IRC you know, and are you saying when you modified the raw sector on your usb stick (dd) the shell exited with errors? And why couldn't you get your wireless up and running?

Atheros WIFI card

You need to be more specific (99% of all my pcs is using Atheros)

Look, I'd love to help you get a basic archlinux install up and running but you have to realise we need a heck of a lot more info in order to find out what's causin the actual bottleneck.

I'm sure most of us understands your frustration but please remember archlinux is a VERY basic linux distro, after the install you'll end up with a very bare kernel and then it's up to the user to complete his tree (KISS).

Also, this is a bleeding edge distro, meaning we get all of the latest binaries from the upstream, things are bound to break, but that's something you have to accept if you plan to use archlinux.

If you still want to install a basic archlinux setup, please let me know

A few distros I'd recommend:

knoppix (excellent hardware support), ubuntu (everyone knows the name), fedora (if you like RPM) and sidux (bleeding edge but with excellent user scripts)

Have a good one!

Last edited by greenfish (2009-07-07 19:56:12)

ARCH64 archSKYNET server AMD  Phenom(tm) II X2 550 HDD 6TB Ram 8GB
Hobbies: Running, Pistol Marksmanship, Classic Music

#481 2009-07-07 21:33:40

onederer

greenfish wrote:
onederer wrote:

Mr. bazooka:

cheers!

They have IRC you know, and are you saying when you modified the raw sector on your usb stick (dd) the shell exited with errors? And why couldn't you get your wireless up and running?

Atheros WIFI card

Look, I'd love to help you get a basic archlinux install up and running but you have to realise we need a heck of a lot more info in order to find out what's causin the actual bottleneck.

I'm sure most of us understands your frustration but please remember archlinux is a VERY basic linux distro, after the install you'll end up with a very bare kernel and then it's up to the user to complete his tree (KISS).

Also, this is a bleeding edge distro, meaning we get all of the latest binaries from the upstream, things are bound to break, but that's something you have to accept if you plan to use archlinux.

knoppix (excellent hardware support), ubuntu (everyone knows the name), fedora (if you like RPM) and sidux (bleeding edge but with excellent user scripts)

Have a good one!

Hi,

I think that I'll pass on installing Arch.  I haven't anything for or against it.  But  my quest at the moment
is to try different distros to see if I can find another one like this one (PCLinuxOS).  I've only found two so far. The other is Freespire.  The reason that they work so well is because they are not scared to include non-free applications in the OS.  So all the necessary applications and codecs are included in the operating system.  It definitely takes the frustrating drudge out of setting up wireless.  I can quickly become a user rather than a Linux mechanic.

As far as why I wasn't able to get Arch to operate wirelessly, if I recall correctly, there was no application that supported Altheros wireless cards.  And whatever else that was missing, prevented me getting wireless running.  I can't answer your question specifically, because I don't know exactly why it wouldn't work.  If I knew, it would be running now.  I've moved on, and some of the details have been forgotten.  PCLinuxOS is now running from my 32GB flash drive.  I've had no problems with it. That's what I'm using right now to write this reply.

Thank you for the offer. I appreciate it.  But since I gotten older, my patience has grown shorter.  I appreciate a Linux OS that works easily, and does what it does, well.  It's just that I'm concentrating on good and easily usable Linux versions that are laptop friendly.  All the other ones that I tried are good for desktop Ethernet usage, but require a lot of contortions to get the wireless working.  I no longer have the patience to spend a lot of time on that anymore.

Cheers!

#482 2009-07-07 22:42:16

Revolt
Website

Managed to get it working 'almost' perfectly on a Toshiba A300-1S9. Some problems with suspend2Ram and APM can't be disabled (or so it seems, setting it to 255 causes more load/unload than 254). Besides that, I haven't tinkered with the Fn keys yet but the multimedia ones, brightness and volume control also work fine.

Only real problem is the lack of ATI support by the official drivers but that ain't Arch's fault tongue And fortunately there are people like Kensai trying to  make the life of ATI users on Arch easier smile

#483 2009-07-08 18:53:32

greenfish

onederer wrote:
greenfish wrote:
onederer wrote:

Mr. bazooka:

cheers!

Atheros WIFI card

Have a good one!

Hi,

I think that I'll pass on installing Arch.  I haven't anything for or against it.  But  my quest at the moment
is to try different distros to see if I can find another one like this one (PCLinuxOS).  I've only found two so far. The other is Freespire.  The reason that they work so well is because they are not scared to include non-free applications in the OS.  So all the necessary applications and codecs are included in the operating system.  It definitely takes the frustrating drudge out of setting up wireless.  I can quickly become a user rather than a Linux mechanic.

As far as why I wasn't able to get Arch to operate wirelessly, if I recall correctly, there was no application that supported Altheros wireless cards.  And whatever else that was missing, prevented me getting wireless running.  I can't answer your question specifically, because I don't know exactly why it wouldn't work.  If I knew, it would be running now.  I've moved on, and some of the details have been forgotten.  PCLinuxOS is now running from my 32GB flash drive.  I've had no problems with it. That's what I'm using right now to write this reply.

Thank you for the offer. I appreciate it.  But since I gotten older, my patience has grown shorter.  I appreciate a Linux OS that works easily, and does what it does, well.  It's just that I'm concentrating on good and easily usable Linux versions that are laptop friendly.  All the other ones that I tried are good for desktop Ethernet usage, but require a lot of contortions to get the wireless working.  I no longer have the patience to spend a lot of time on that anymore.

Cheers!

No worries bro, I understand exactly what you're saying. I sort of felt the same way you did everytime I hit an obstacle using this distro, and you just knew it would take hours just to sort the mess, granted you learned a few things on the way. Archlinux isn't exactly a distro one should be using if you can't dedicate time to sort out bugs from the upstream. If PCLinuxOS works for you sir, you shouldn't change at least not in my opinion, what ever works eh.

As of right now i'm dedicating my nix time only on weekends and maybe sometimes if i'm in the mood/time earlier then planned.

Once more at least in my opinion knoppix is a beast when it comes to hardware support and stability.

Good luck in the future with your distro of choice smile

ARCH64 archSKYNET server AMD  Phenom(tm) II X2 550 HDD 6TB Ram 8GB
Hobbies: Running, Pistol Marksmanship, Classic Music

#484 2009-07-12 07:37:40

sargas

Arch+Fluxbox works great on Toshiba Equium A300D. The only problem is i didn't manage to enable de pseudo numpad keys. And battery life is short, but that's not a Linux related problem.

#485 2009-07-12 08:23:24

baddog144

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. It's working great with Awesome. Media keys are working and everything. I had some issues with the wifi, but that was more my fault than Arch's. wink

#486 2009-07-13 10:44:17

Veovis Muad'dib

Forgot to update, I fixed the trackpad and sound by just following some instructions I found on google.

In other words, Macbook Pro 4,1 15" working flawlessly.

#487 2009-07-16 19:54:34

rulex

Hello arch people, my first post here so i thought Id let you know ive just installed arch on my MSI PR200 smile

Battery status and the shortcut buttons for display brightness is working unlike in ubuntu.
Only thing is I havent been able to get the webcam working yet...

#488 2009-07-22 21:50:48

fh

Works great on my Sony VGN-NR110E.

#489 2009-07-23 05:46:45

sherman

arch works good on my Lenovo G530
I had to install the BCM4312 wireless driver package from aur to get wireless working though.

#490 2009-07-23 06:57:29

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

litemotiv wrote:

Sony Vaio FW3xx series (tested on european FW31ZJ, other full-hd models with an ATI card should work as well)

Almost everything works out of the box, remarks so far:

Changing screen brightness doesn't work, the dual-lamp display is very bright so you will definitely want to fix this. For this you will need a custom DSDT file; you can compile your own DSDT which requires some effort (see the wiki and this blog post), or use the one i pre-built (link: custom.dsdt).

Since the acpi-dsdt-intrd patch was removed with kernel 2.6.30 the above doesn't apply anymore, also the alternative of compiling the dsdt directly into the kernel doesn't work so far.

Using a dual-lamp screen with full brightness all day is a major PITA, so be warned.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#491 2009-07-30 11:52:06

DDspeed
Website

Asus F6A (model 3P037E).

Everything worked out of the box, including wifi, bluetooth, card reader and other stuff. Buttons for brightness, sleep, volume, turning on/off the LCD etc also work.

Had some problems with sound. After a little bit of googling it turned out that there's a bug in BIOS version prior to 209, which prevents the soundcard from working if the POST sound is turned off in BIOS settings. Updating the BIOS fixed the problem and now sound also works just fine.

Have You ever been...?

#492 2009-08-07 14:51:30

whordijk
Website

Acer Extensa 5220

Everything worked after a wired FTP install. I fiddled around a little with the BCM4312 wifi card, installing the firmware and drivers with the help of various Wiki articles, and managed to get it to work. So far, everything seems te be in order and working. There's a Wiki page on the Acer Extensa 5220, but use it with caution since the described hardware doesn't seem to be the same in every model (for me, it was the wifi card that differed)

http://www.archlinux.it/wiki/index.php? … tensa_5220

#493 2009-08-15 06:23:28

tjsanda

I just got Arch setup on my Gatewy p-6831fx with intel t7700, 8800m gts, 2x7200rpm hdds in raid0(fakeraid).  The only thing I haven't tested is the media card reader, everything else works fine.

#494 2009-08-15 08:08:23

Nagian

I have a HP 8510p, and only the wlan made a few problems. But with the great wiki that's also no problem wink

#495 2009-08-15 10:53:31

m7d1

Fujitsu Siemens 3545
Everything is working well, wireless, nvidia card and multimedia.
Good performance especially with kde 4.3

#496 2009-08-15 15:27:00

plurt

Medion MD96350

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f3)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HEM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 01)
08:00.0 Mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. Sil 3531 [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)
0a:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

#497 2009-08-15 15:37:16

tlmiller

I've had/have arch on:

Dell Studio 15
Dell Inspiron 1525
Dell Inspiron 1505
Dell Latitude E6400 (NICE laptop, wish it was mine to keep)
Dell Latitude D630C
Dell Latitude D630
Dell Latitude D620
Dell Latitude D610
Dell Latitude D600

Ran great on all those when I used it.

#498 2009-08-16 17:46:15

esail

Hi all,

I have Lenovo Ideapad Y530.

dariusz ~  $  cat /proc/cpuinfo                                                                                                                              
processor       : 0                                                                                                                                          
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel                                                                                                                               
cpu family      : 6                                                                                                                                          
model           : 23                                                                                                                                         
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz                                                                                            
stepping        : 6                                                                                                                                          
cpu MHz         : 2400.621                                                                                                                                   
cache size      : 3072 KB                                                                                                                                    
physical id     : 0                                                                                                                                          
siblings        : 2                                                                                                                                          
core id         : 0                                                                                                                                          
cpu cores       : 2                                                                                                                                          
apicid          : 0                                                                                                                                          
initial apicid  : 0                                                                                                                                          
fpu             : yes                                                                                                                                        
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips        : 4803.29
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     P8600  @ 2.40GHz
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 2400.621
cache size      : 3072 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 1
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 1
initial apicid  : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
bogomips        : 4802.17
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

dariusz ~  $  cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        4002076 kB
MemFree:         3009572 kB
Buffers:           73572 kB
Cached:           438464 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:           470176 kB
Inactive:         396996 kB
Active(anon):     356480 kB
Inactive(anon):        4 kB
Active(file):     113696 kB
Inactive(file):   396992 kB
Unevictable:         116 kB
Mlocked:             116 kB
SwapTotal:       8393920 kB
SwapFree:        8393920 kB
Dirty:                76 kB
Writeback:             0 kB
AnonPages:        355380 kB
Mapped:           128352 kB
Slab:              62940 kB
SReclaimable:      49464 kB
SUnreclaim:        13476 kB
PageTables:        15592 kB
NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
Bounce:                0 kB
WritebackTmp:          0 kB
CommitLimit:    10394956 kB
Committed_AS:    1071976 kB
VmallocTotal:   34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed:      300880 kB
VmallocChunk:   34359432699 kB
DirectMap4k:       24576 kB
DirectMap2M:     4136960 kB

dariusz ~  $  lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9600M GS] (rev a1)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN [Shiloh] Network Connection
07:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
07:03.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
07:03.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 12)
07:03.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
07:03.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)

dariusz ~  $  lsusb
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 046d:c043 Logitech, Inc. MX320/MX400 Laser Mouse
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 04f2:b105 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 008 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Chicony is a build in camera.

I had some problems with sound card configuration. Build in speakers does not mute when earphones were connected, the solution was to add model=lenovo-sky to modprobe.conf.

Best regards,
Esail

#499 2009-08-19 06:20:59

guzz46

Acer Aspire 6530 everything works fine, suspend, sd card reader, webcam, usb, spdif out.
not tested anything else as i don't use them

#500 2009-08-25 10:26:50

prim

cyclotomic wrote:

Asus N81vp:

-  Ethernet works out of the box
-  Wireless works out of the box (atk9000)
-  ATI mobility radeon 4650 works after annoying setup with proprietary drivers (also works with the radeonhd driver but it allows the fan to run at full speed all the time)
-  keys mostly work
-  sound card works (ALSA)
-  trackpad requires synaptics but works well
-  Haven't tried Webcam or Fingerprint reader
-  Haven't tried Suspend or hibernate, but since it's ATI I doubt they work properly.

Overall runs well.

Hi,
Have you tried running a virtual machine (e.g. with KVM or Xen) on this laptop?
I'm planning to buy one (but probably N81vg with nvidia gfx, to avoid problems with drivers), but I would like to know if hardware virtualization (Intel VT) is available on those machines. I've read recently that some manufacturers (especially Sony) disable virtualization in BIOS and there's no way to enable it, even if it's supported by cpu.

Feel free to correct my English

Board footer