You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-13 19:30:29

hmpl

linux-libre and skylake

I know that the linux kernel contains firmware and modules that loads and runs in order to make some non-free hardware function (for example iwlwifi).
I was just woundering, if I install linux-libre over the normal linux kernel, will there be incompatibilities with the skylake microarchitecture itself? I mean, does skylake need some non-free firmwares (that are in the normal kernel) in order to function well?
Thank you!

#2 2017-07-13 19:33:44

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: linux-libre and skylake

I don't think so... also, you aren't installing linux-libre (I assume) over linux.  Kernels can co-exist quite happily.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2017-07-13 20:35:14

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: linux-libre and skylake

At least the GPU needs some binary blobs for audio support and may need binary blobs for acceleration support, but don't quote me on that as I'm not sure. Use google and search phoronix as I have a vague idea of seeing some articles there about the the progress of making skylake work on linux. You may also need firmware for other things such as bluetooth or wifi as you have mentioned.

There is also another piece of binary blob you really want to use if the latest version is not included in the bios/firmware of your machine already, which would mean you'd have to use it whether you want to or not, it is the cpu microcode update. And you really want to be using the latest available microcode update.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

Board footer