You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-26 08:13:04

setzer22

System gets stuck on shutdown and consumes a high amount of CPU

When I power off my laptop (It is an MSI GE70 2PE, just in case it rings any bells), the shutdown process starts as normal (and apparently finishes until the systemd journal is closed), but at that point the kernel apparently hangs in a loop and the system never powers off. This causes my laptop to heat a lot, and if left alone this process drains my battery in a very short time (around 10-15 minutes, when the battery normally can last for at least 2 hours under normal usage). I also tried leaving it during longer periods of time with a charger and I am pretty confident that, after several hours, it isn't stopping. At that point the only way to stop it is to cut the power by holding the power button several seconds.

I've checked the systemd shutdown debugging page (https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/s … /#index2h1) and since not even the "force" version of shutdown works (same behaviour, it just gets quicker to the "heating" phase), I take it that this is a problem with the kernel, not systemd.

Any idea on how to proceed about debugging this? I do not now any way to get a meaningful error message that late in the shutdown process.

It is also relevant to mention that all other power-related commands: reboot, suspend, hibernate and hybrid-sleep work without any issues.

Thank you!

#2 2017-07-26 08:43:07

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: System gets stuck on shutdown and consumes a high amount of CPU

Does it happen with other kernels?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-07-26 11:39:15

setzer22

I've been using the default arch kernel, nothing custom. I also just tried linux-lts and I could reproduce the same behaviour (I checked the kernel was loaded with "uname -a", which correctly printed "Linux <HOSTNAME> 4.9.37-1-lts"). Any other kernel you would suggest trying?

#4 2017-07-26 16:12:51

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

-lts is the obvious one. More details about your hardware would help...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2017-07-26 21:46:37

setzer22

I generated a report using hardinfo including anything that sounded relevant (probably more than needed). You can find it here: https://pastebin.com/8si2q5fy (Of course it's best to save it as HTML and view in a browser, but I didn't want to share the file in case anyone feel it's insecure to download).

Board footer