You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-29 08:47:31

chl

Xen problem: "xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file"

The some days ago I started playing around with virtualisation and xen.

I set up a fresh arch install and installed xen 4.9.0-1 from AUR, which worked flawlessly.
Then I set up an ArchLinux DomU based on an image file acc. to the instructions of the Arch Xen wiki, which also worked perfectly.

Yesterday, wanted to set up a second DomU the same way I did with the first one.

The installation worked without problems, but when I "booted" the new DomU for the first time with

xl create -c DomU_2.conf

I got the following error message:

xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file or directory
libxl: error: libxl_exec.c:118:libxl_report_child_exitstatus: console child [4342] exited with error status 2

So far could track down the reason of the problem to update of the Arch kernel from 4.11.9 (installed in the old DomU) to 4.12.3 (installed by pacstrap in the new DomU) during the last days.

The problem is reproducible, because if I make an update of the Arch kernel in my old DomU (luckily I used a copy) the problem also occurs. If I exclude the Arch kernel from the update by setting

IgnorePkg   = linux

in my pacman.conf during the update the problem does not occur.

That's how far I got.

I could not figure out so far what makes the difference between the two kernel versions. The needed modules are the same, the initramfs contains the same files, and I have not found any relevant config files that have been changed.

The weired thing is that xenconsole, where the error message comes from is running in Dom0 (which is not affected by any updates of the DomU). I have also tried restarting the respective service on Dom0 but this did not help either.

Could anybody give me a hint?

Many thanks
CHL

#2 2017-08-27 18:13:18

infos@nafets.de

Re: Xen problem: "xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file"

Same here, both in DomU and Dom0 with Kernel >4.11.
NO clue what to do either...

#3 2017-08-29 19:12:51

mellofone

Re: Xen problem: "xenconsole: Could not read tty from store: No such file"

Same issue with running Arch guests on Xenserver 7.  This is about the only bug report I can find on it is here, #53396.

Board footer