You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-30 03:23:39

sauron_di

Dell XPS 15 early 2017 Freeze after login [Soveld]

I got my XPS set up with arch using this  guide but since its battery life was so low I wanted to disable my nvidia graphics with bumblebee, however after installing bumblebee and enabling it with systemd I am no longer able to login to the system and the system freezes after logged in.

I chroot the system and removed Bumblebee but still, the issue persist. So I went through the guide again ( and it has been updated recently) and saw the following section. 

However, for either of these to work, you need to be running a kernel with CONFIG_ACPI_REV_OVERRIDE_POSSIBLE enabled. The default Arch kernel config does not have this enabled, so you need to compile it yourself. Using ABS to get the default linux package, enabling CONFIG_ACPI_REV_OVERRIDE_POSSIBLE in the config and compiling it is enough. I've personally only tried the original patch and am currently running with that, but the more direct acpi_rev_override boot option has been reported by others to work.
This solves the lockup issues and since you don't have to set the acpi_osi boot parameters with this, touchpad also works. For now, I'd recommend this solution instead of using the acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009" boot parameters mentioned in every other section of this post.

I have following questions and it would be great if someone can help me out as I have no idea to what to do. (I have never built a custom kernel and this is my first arch system with nvidia, so I have very limited knowledge in both of those areas)

1.) How to build the kernel as describes above? (my current kernel is 4.10.6)
2.) I had a working system and the only thing I did was to install bumblebee, start it in systemd and installed i8kctl, but when I chroot and wanted to stop the bumblebee service (I thought this was causing the issues) I was unable to do it. So I uninstalled it. Have I done a mistake by uninstalling it without stopping it ?

Last edited by sauron_di (2017-08-07 12:05:19)

#2 2017-07-30 08:23:27

x33a
Forum Fellow

Re: Dell XPS 15 early 2017 Freeze after login [Soveld]

That forum post links to this wiki page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dell_XPS_15_9560. Have you tried following it instead?

#3 2017-08-07 12:04:45

sauron_di

Re: Dell XPS 15 early 2017 Freeze after login [Soveld]

had to install the whole system back again, don't know what whent wrong

Board footer