You are not logged in.

#1 2017-07-31 09:44:54

sitwano

[SOLVED] Resting two fingers on touchpad results in multiple clicks

Ever since a recent update to the kernel and libinput, two finger scrolling and resting on trackpad is sporadically resulting in unintended clicks. This makes browsing very difficult.

Laptop: Thinkpad X250
DE: Gnome on wayland
Libinput version: 1.8.1-1
Kernel version: 4.12.3

Furthermore resting two fingers on the trackpad results in continuous pasting of clipboard contents or opens links in new tabs. Could it be that two finger is being recognised as also a three finger touch action?

edit: downgrading  libinput does not seem to solve the problem. I've noticed that when I place three fingers on the touch pad first, and then rest two fingers on the touchpad, thats when the problem starts to happen. This seems to be a very annoying bug. Is there a way to disable three-finger touch completely? Maybe this could solve the problem temporarily?.  However I understand changing libinput settings in wayland is next to impossible unless implemented upstream.

Can someone confirm that this bug is affecting them too? Does downgrading libinput/kernel solve the problem for you?

Temporary fix is of course to disable tap-to-click.

edit: It seems that switching to official LTS kernel 4.9.40-1-lts solves the problem. This makes me believe its either a kernel issue or libinput not playing well with the kernel. Perhaps a bug report should also be filed for the linux kernel?

I've filed a bug report on this here for libinput:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=101979

Last edited by sitwano (2017-08-07 11:31:54)

#2 2017-08-05 17:55:40

erdk

Re: [SOLVED] Resting two fingers on touchpad results in multiple clicks

I see the same issue on Lenovo T450s, it started after update to kernel 4.12.3.

libinput 1.7.x - kernel <= 4.11.x - ok
libinput 1.8.x - kernel <= 4.11.x - ok
libinput 1.8.x - kernel 4.12.x - errnous behaviour.

EDIT:
Also I have problem with buttons on the bottom of the touchpad: there are (were) 3 zones, an clicking touchpad there resulted with left, middle and right click. Now it's not detected, all clicks result in left click, as if those areas are not properly detected. Maybe that's the reason?

Last edited by erdk (2017-08-05 17:59:17)

Archlinux, Fedora
GH

#3 2017-08-08 15:57:57

Wild Penguin

Hi,

I've always had this issue, but on different distributions, like in Linux mint, and in Manjaro. In these two, I've changed to mtrack, which solved the issue.

Recently I've switched to Antergos, and the issue is here again. I'm unable to change to mtrack easily in Antergos - haven't investigated further how to do that (Wiki has some instructions but they seem outdated, and the driver is not in repositories anymore, only in AUR). 

This is really driving me nuts since any kind of scrollable menu is nearly unusable, text gets constantly selected and stuff unintentionally clicked. The issue is probably even more exacerbarated byt the fact I'm using a clickpad and need to rely heavily on multi-finger gestures and locked drags - as the device was designed with those in mind and there is really no sensible way to do the functionality otherwise ... the device being an MackBook Pro 5,5 - one of the first unibody models.

I'm currently using 4.11.9-1-ARCH, and libinput 1.8.1-1. I'll see if changing the Kernel version or libinput has any effect...  I'm a bit sceptical since the issue has persisted for years for me!

In some ways it is nice to hear someone has the same issue! (but in other ways, not hmm )

p.s. Sorry, I know it's not the same distribution but near-same / based on Arch - and changes are it is the same issue as OP has, or at least sound exactly the same.
p.s.s. Also just noticed my Kernel has peen updated... time to reboot!

#4 2017-08-08 16:09:19

ewaller
Administrator

Closed.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer