You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-04 08:47:41

languitar
Website

Dell E5470: fresh boot after suspend and hibernate

I have a Dell Latitude E5470 which has done suspend and hibernate without any real issues so far. But since one of the updates in the last few weeks (unfortunately I can't tell exactly since the uptime was weeks...) suspend and hibernate have been broken completely. The computer goes to the correct state, so for instance in  suspend I see the the intended pulse of one of the status LEDs, but when waking up the computer it just starts as if it was freshly booted. I have no idea how to debug this because there are no indications in any log I have looked at.

What I tried so far:

• linux-lits: same problem

• intel-ucode + grub config update for this: no change

Any idea ho to get relevant debug information on what is going on here?

#2 2017-08-04 23:18:14

GenkiSky

Re: Dell E5470: fresh boot after suspend and hibernate

So there is nothing in journalctl? Anyway, it's quite surprising to me that linux-lts doesn't solve the issue.  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1661741 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1645758 seem related -- is there any difference when the power chord is plugged in or not? People in the comments mention weird "fixes" related to switching to doing hibernate instead of suspend, then back again... It's also interesting in one of the bug reports the mention that reverting to an old, previously working, kernel didn't fix the situation though. Maybe it's worth looking into updating (or downgrading/resetting temporarily...) your BIOS?

Last edited by GenkiSky (2017-08-04 23:19:14)

#3 2017-08-28 10:14:32

languitar
Website

Re: Dell E5470: fresh boot after suspend and hibernate

Just to solve this mystery: It seems Dell has implicitly revoked a bios updated for this laptop. The newest download has a lower version number than the bios update I downloaded before, which is still available for an older date in the detailed section. Downgrading the bios version has solved most of the issues with suspend to ram. hibernation still doesn't work correctly, but as the laptop wakes up with a black screen, I suspect this is actually a real kernel issue.

Board footer