You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-04 17:09:50

buttcake
Member
Registered: 2016-10-16
Posts: 37

HW on chromium-vaapi with xf86-video-ati/libva-mesa-driver

Had anyone made this work yet ? All the information I find online is for intel cards and last time I tried I could not get it working even with ignored gpu blacklist.

Offline

#2 2017-08-04 18:32:25

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,607

Re: HW on chromium-vaapi with xf86-video-ati/libva-mesa-driver

I have no clue why the hacky vaapi patches floating around require separate handling for Intel and non-Intel, because there's no Intel specific code in Chromium.

Anyway, your best bet is trying the official patch that will land in Chromium soon™: https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/532294. The patch adds a new compile option, so you need to add 'use_vaapi=true' to _flags in the PKGBUILD. Then after Chromium is compiled, you need to enable hardware decoding in chrome://flags. I haven't tested the patch yet, I'll wait until it actually lands in Chromium, and I can test only Intel anyway.

Offline

#3 2017-08-05 16:01:04

buttcake
Member
Registered: 2016-10-16
Posts: 37

Re: HW on chromium-vaapi with xf86-video-ati/libva-mesa-driver

My machine is not able to withstand the heat generated from compiling chromium. I guess I'm going to have to also wait or hope some Trusted User picks up chromium with the official vaapi patch.

Offline

#4 2017-08-05 16:46:26

Gusar
Member
Registered: 2009-08-25
Posts: 3,607

Re: HW on chromium-vaapi with xf86-video-ati/libva-mesa-driver

There's chromium-vaapi-bin in AUR, however it uses one of the unofficial patches. And I just found out there actually is Intel-specific code in Chromium, currently Chromium specifically loads the Intel VAAPI driver. But the official patch removes that code. The person maintaining chromium-vaapi in AUR is aware of the official patch, but doesn't seem sure if he should switch to it, see last comments here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/chromium-vaapi/. Maybe write a comment there that this patch possibly enables VAAPI also on drivers other than Intel.

Offline

#5 2017-08-21 15:25:18

hippieben
Member
Registered: 2013-10-27
Posts: 218

Re: HW on chromium-vaapi with xf86-video-ati/libva-mesa-driver

Works fine for me both with Intel graphics and AMDGPU.  Try going into chrome://flags and enabling video acceleration.

Graphics Feature Status
Canvas: Hardware accelerated
CheckerImaging: Disabled
Flash: Hardware accelerated
Flash Stage3D: Hardware accelerated
Flash Stage3D Baseline profile: Hardware accelerated
Compositing: Hardware accelerated
Multiple Raster Threads: Enabled
Native GpuMemoryBuffers: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
Rasterization: Software only. Hardware acceleration disabled
Video Decode: Hardware accelerated
Video Encode: Hardware accelerated
WebGL: Hardware accelerated
WebGL2: Hardware accelerated

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB