You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-04 22:12:06

Noah-Huppert
Website

[Solved/Redirected] Deleted EFI directory contents, reinstalling efi?

Hello,
Recently I made the classic stupid mistake of `rm -rf` something I shouldn't had.

I deleted the contents of the /boot/efi directory. I believe this is a mount point for another special EFI partition.

I have a live Arch USB and have attempted a couple things to recover.

I reinstalled the Linux Kernel and ran mkinitcpio and ran refind-install.

Refind-install complained about corrupted efi files. When I run extdebug it says there is a file system there with a bad super block and named lsb.

How do I reinstall or recover the necessary files? Let me know if you need any command outputs.

I also have a windows partition, is there anything I can do to get that booting again?

Last edited by Noah-Huppert (2017-08-09 15:41:41)

#2 2017-08-05 10:16:09

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [Solved/Redirected] Deleted EFI directory contents, reinstalling efi?

Noah-Huppert wrote:

I deleted the contents of the /boot/efi directory. I believe this is a mount point for another special EFI partition.

That would depend on your bootloader configuration, please provide a detailed description and include information about the relevant mountpoints and all configuration files.

If you have deleted everything on the ESP then you will have to use a Windows bootloader repair tool (ask on a Windows forum) to replace the missing files (unless you had the foresight to back them up, of course).

#3 2017-08-09 15:40:24

Noah-Huppert
Website

Re: [Solved/Redirected] Deleted EFI directory contents, reinstalling efi?

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Noah-Huppert wrote:

That would depend on your bootloader configuration, please provide a detailed description and include information about the relevant mountpoints and all configuration files.

If you have deleted everything on the ESP then you will have to use a Windows bootloader repair tool (ask on a Windows forum) to replace the missing files (unless you had the foresight to back them up, of course).

Thanks for the reply. After you mentioned the windows recovery option I did some more research and that looks like what I will have to do.

Thanks for the tipoff.

I've obtained a windows recovery media for my laptop from a friend. And I encountered another error. But that's a problem for another forum.

Board footer