You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-03 10:01:05

Gullible Jones

Problem with Archboot - can anyone help?

Right now there is a huge problem with Archboot's installer. During an install, packages' install scripts invariably fail to work properly. Two of them give an error about /bin/true not existing; udev's install script claims that /sbin/migrate-udev isn't there; perl's borks with a string of errors related to the symlinking it's supposed to do - it doesn't see the directories that it's supposed to create symlinks to.

This is quite a bit like what I saw with archbootstrap, so I think it may be a chroot-related issue, but if anyone has any clue as to the cause, please tell...

(And while we're at it, try Archboot when you get the chance. 8) )

#2 2006-07-03 12:38:40

detto

Re: Problem with Archboot - can anyone help?

hey ive got this problem with the missing /bin/true durin instalation too! :?
maybe this helps tp determine what the problem is and how to solve it.

#3 2006-07-03 13:14:18

Gullible Jones

Wait, were you using the normal installer? Hmm... the missing /bin/true might not enter into it. Just a sec, I'll have to mention this in the bug report.

#4 2006-07-03 13:43:00

iphitus
Forum Fellow

the errors are there, because the scripts try to run stuff, that isnt there.

the solution is to install coreutils bash and their dependencies first. Their install scripts will fail, this is OK.
Then you install all the packages, including coreutils, bash and their dependencies again.

It's important to install coreutils, bash and dependencies the second time, to ensure that their install scripts work correctly, as their install scripts depend on themselves in some cases, eg glibc.

James

#5 2006-07-03 13:55:44

Gullible Jones

Alright, thanks...

BTW, how is it pulled off in the floppy installer? Does it use static copies of the necessary files or something?

Edit: what about migrate-udev? That's there after the udev package has been decompressed, is it unable to run because the install for glibc screwed up or something?

#6 2006-07-03 14:02:29

tpowa
Developer

well you are the first who tries to install arch by using this stuff, i ahven't had the time to check if it already works it's something i hacked together and tried to get it going with quickinst.
network setup works since last release.
the question is are those problems also happening on a normal install iso?
i tried just to clone the original cd, something must be different if the normal iso doesn't show this behaviour.

#7 2006-07-03 15:13:03

Gullible Jones

I don't think so. Here's a list of the ones I ran into with a customized base install + a few other things...

gcc: install script couldn't find /bin/true

db: again, can't find /bin/true (this happened with the script in /var/lib though, while GCC's was in /tmp - not sure that matters)

perl: couldn't symlink stuff in /usr/lib/perl5 to 'current' (wherever that is)  because said stuff supposedly didn't exist

filsystem: couldn't stat /etc/skel/.bashrc or /etc/skel/.bash_profile when trying to copy them to /root

udev: couldn't find /sbin/migrate-udev

fakeroot: couldn't find /sbin/ldconfig or /etc/ld.so.conf

It should be noted that, in all of the above cases, all the files that could not be found were definitely there.

#8 2006-07-03 16:35:10

gradgrind

My larch scripts do a very 'straight' from-nothing-up installation, as also is the case in my 'newarch' script for a sort-of bootstrap installation - see http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Qui … stallation (I've just updated it).

The only really noticeable error is two "install script couldn't find /bin/true" failures, both for 'db' (its pre- and its post-install scripts, gcc hasn't got an install script), and I am pretty sure these are no problem at all.

Otherwise, the creation of kernel26.img seems not to work properly, but this is also no big deal - you can use kernel26-fallback.img and regenerate the former when you boot into the new system.

I built a larch CD a few days ago with all the latest stuff, and it works fine. Congratulations to the devs on making the recent migrations so smooth!

#9 2006-07-03 16:40:32

Gullible Jones

As of right now initcpio creation should work fine, the bug with filesystem detection failure seems to have been fixed.

Board footer