You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-07 11:06:27

jwtiyar

I installed arch but GRUB will not let it

Hey guys
Its been 8 times iam installing archlinux again again with diferrent tutorial but i get samw result after rebooting the system.
I get into GRUB shell and shows there is no bootable device, i tried grub2 and bootctl but same result, first i made a partition with 512 mb for efi boot and another one for my system and installed it. I dont know whats wrong woth my bootloader.
My lapltop is legacy  type and i have GPT scheme. .

#2 2017-08-07 11:41:06

ooo

Re: I installed arch but GRUB will not let it

Don't use some tutorials you find on internet. They are always outdated and wrong, and most likely at least partially causing your issue.
Following the official installation guide is the only supported way to install arch linux.

When you've installed your system following the official guide, if you still have this issue, come back with at least your grub configuration, and output of lsblk.

And if by,

jwtiyar wrote:

My lapltop is legacy  type

you mean you have BIOS only (not-UEFI) laptop, you shouldn't have an efi boot partition.

#3 2017-08-07 11:49:28

jwtiyar

ooo wrote:

Don't use some tutorials you find on internet. They are always outdated and wrong, and most likely at least partially causing your issue.
Following the official installation guide is the only supported way to install arch linux.

When you've installed your system following the official guide, if you still have this issue, come back with at least your grub configuration, and output of lsblk.

And if by,

jwtiyar wrote:

My lapltop is legacy  type

you mean you have BIOS only (not-UEFI) laptop, you shouldn't have an efi boot partition.

Before three months u installed arch without problem with samem tutorial but now this grub made every thing complicated, now i will start again to install arch so in my sys/firmware the efi directory does not exist what to do? Which tutorial to use? The official installation guide too much complicated i cant understand it.
Edit : in bios there is legacy and uefi option legacy is default.

Last edited by jwtiyar (2017-08-07 11:52:00)

#4 2017-08-07 12:17:26

mrunion
Website

If the official guide is beyond your understanding, you will not be pleased with Arch. Arch expects users to know how to use and run Linux already. That's not to say you can't do it with effort on your part. But if you think the Installation Guide is too complicated you will not be happy here.

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#5 2017-08-07 12:19:25

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

The official installation guide too much complicated i cant understand it.

Then Arch is not the right distribution for you. If you can't follow the wiki, then how are you going to maintain this installation? There is no sense in using a distribution that is beyond your capabilities.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2017-08-07 14:08:48

afaye

Why did you choose Arch Linux in the first place?
With Arch Linux, the point is not to have a working system in 1 hour with mouse clicks and copy-and-paste.

Arch Linux has the best, full featured command line installation environment ever. It has all the tools you need and more, but you need to be patient with them.

Example. The first step is "loadkeys", try "man loadkeys",  what does it do exactly? what options does it have? can I use other options to configure it to my liking? Is there anything else that is interesting in "loadkeys"?

Hope that helps with whether you would like to stay with Arch Linux, and good luck with your choices. smile

ps. If you would like to give Arch Linux another try, you are unlikely to need UEFI installation instructions ... try following the normal BIOS instructions and just create msdos partitions (try not to be fancy with gpt) and see if that works for you? Especially for GRUB, don't follow anything that is UEFI and see if that works better for you?

Last edited by afaye (2017-08-07 14:11:45)

#7 2017-08-07 20:16:53

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

jwtiyar wrote:

My lapltop is legacy  type and i have GPT scheme. .

If you have a GPT disk then you should install in UEFI mode.

#8 2017-08-07 20:45:21

Slithery
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

If you have a GPT disk then you should install in UEFI mode.

I used BIOS boot with GPT disks for years with no issues before switching to a partitionless setup.

If the OP has a non-UEFI laptop then either partitioning scheme can be used.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#9 2017-08-07 20:53:01

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

slithery wrote:

I used BIOS boot with GPT disks for years with no issues

Although it may be possible to boot a GPT disk in non-UEFI mode, the support is firmware-dependent and is not guaranteed to work, unlike UEFI installation to a GPT disk or a "Legacy" (non-UEFI) installation on an msdos disk.

This is why Windows (and OpenBSD) will only install UEFI/GPT or Legacy/msdos.

#10 2017-08-08 21:43:00

Blasphemist

I have to agree about the need to both use and understand the installation guide. You can get there, the rest of us here have and there are quite a few among us that are challenged. A whole lot of us started out making notes that we can use during the installation before we started. Having planned access to the installation guide and the rest of the wiki on another device is really helpful.

I think you'll find matching legacy mode in UEFI and GPT to be more complicated. Do you need to stay in the legacy mode for something already installed? That would be the only good reason to make things harder. Otherwise I'd start by switching to UEFI mode with GPT. You'll find the documentation easier to follow if you do.

Simple and Open

Board footer