You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-07 14:56:25

kuzcothegreat

[SOLVED] ehternet dongle on thinkpad x1 carbon 2017 5th not working

Hallo fellow users,

I'm super new here. Giving my best! Hope you are willing to help smile

I recently bought a thinkpad x1 carbon and installed arch linux on it. Most things work as advertised and the beginner's guide, the forums and the wiki were of great help so far.
One of the things that I just couldn't figure out till now is how to get the ethernet adapter to work.
According to the wiki, I need to install r8152-dkms from the AUR. OK, doing that, I also need to install linux-headers. No problem. Installation went without issues.
I used "makepkg -si" for installation.
Question: the r8152-dkms folder is in my homedirectory now. Can I move it someplace else? Can I even remove it after installation? It's in the way.

Anyways... ethernet is not working. Why?
I already did quite a lot of googling but I think I got the wrong lead here.

I connected to wifi networks using netctl and wifi-menu. Does this have any effect on ethernet? I have no netctl profiles enabled. I tried to use an ethernet profile with netctl, but that doesnt do anything and should not be necessary according to the beginners guide.

btw, here is what my "ip link" shows:

1: lo: ...
2: wlp4so: ...
3. enp0s31f6: <BROADCAST.MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN mode DEFAULT group defalut qlen 1000
    link/ether $SOMENUMBERS brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

lscpi -v

00:1f.6 Ehternet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (4) I219-V (rev 21)
 Subsystem: Lenovo Device 224f
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
Kernel modules: e1000e

$ dmesg | grep e1000e yields nothing

I'm grateful for any help here smile

Last edited by kuzcothegreat (2017-08-08 14:49:20)

#2 2017-08-07 15:11:32

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] ehternet dongle on thinkpad x1 carbon 2017 5th not working

First, welcome to the Arch Linux Forums.

Yes, after a package is built and installed, you can get rid of the build directory.  Personally I have a 'build' directory where I keep everything in one place.

Are we talking about a wired Ethernet here?   If so, lets forget about netctl for now.  Disable it and just run (as root) dhcpcd and see what happens.   Also, what are happening with any link lights (LEDs) on the NIC and on your router?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-08-07 15:30:01

kuzcothegreat

Hi, thanks for the quick answer.
Yes, wired ethernet. so "netctl stop-all" should disable netctl, right?
"dhcpcd" yields:

dev: loaded udev
no interfaces have a carrier
forked to background, child pid 506

what's changed is that now, if I try to ping something, the thinkpad at least tries to ping and doesnt say network unreachable. Step foreward!

Right now, I do not have access to the router, otherwise I would check if it sees the ThinkPad. I will check when I'm home.

great idea about the build folder. Thanks. I will do that.

#4 2017-08-08 08:21:50

kuzcothegreat

So,

yesterday evening I tried to connect via ethernet at home using your described approach. And voilà, "dhcpcd" worked. I got LAN. Apparently, the issue is with my work LAN. As far as I know, it is also dhcp with IPv4. Any further suggestions towards what might be wrong?

#5 2017-08-08 14:47:15

kuzcothegreat

duh,

maybe I should not rely on "ping" to much... because "ping" appears to be the only programm that has no internet connection.
Today, I tried "pacman -Syu" after "dhcpcd" and it worked flawlessly.

Solved, I'm a bit confused, though.

#6 2017-08-08 15:05:44

ewaller
Administrator

Ping operates at a very low level of the IP stack.  Not all routers honor ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol) requests; this is the protocol upon which ping depends.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ping_(networking_utility)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2017-08-24 15:21:36

sitwano

kuzcothegreat wrote:

duh,

maybe I should not rely on "ping" to much... because "ping" appears to be the only programm that has no internet connection.
Today, I tried "pacman -Syu" after "dhcpcd" and it worked flawlessly.

Solved, I'm a bit confused, though.

Could ping be blocked by your office firewall?

Last edited by sitwano (2017-08-24 15:22:07)

Board footer