You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-10 06:52:34

clayman

[SOLVED] Latest linux kernel package PKGBUILD

Hi all,

where do I find the PKGBUILD and other support files for the linux package? I use a slightly customized kernel build and with abs gone, I can't seem to get hold of the up-to-date source files for the package.

I read up on asp and it seems that

asp export linux

should do the trick, but I end up with my current kernel's PKGBUILD.

What am I doing wrong? smile

Thank you all for your responses.

Btw. sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this question. I wasn't sure where to ask. Admins, feel free to move this if necessary.

Last edited by clayman (2017-08-10 08:39:35)

#2 2017-08-10 07:05:41

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Latest linux kernel package PKGBUILD

You can specify a repository when invoking asp, so you could grab the kernel from [testing], which will, in most cases, be newer.

However, once you have a PKGBUILD, you don't need to do anything more than bump the version and release numbers, so you can forego asp entirely.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-08-10 07:14:49

Slithery
Administrator

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#4 2017-08-10 07:17:21

clayman

Thanks for the reply. smile I have the linux package listed as ignored so pacman does not try to replace my slimmed-down package with the repo version. However, it does report that the upgrade is available and I do not use the [testing] so the package must come from [core].

Moreover, the distro metafiles often come with various patches that come and go as the versions change, so I think that simply bumping the version numbers is not the best way to go about this.

#5 2017-08-10 07:22:22

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You are doing it wrong. You should name your custom kernel so that it does not clash with the official package. You can have both installed, and choose which to boot from.

I have been running a custom kernel this way for years: you can see the script I use to automate it in my bitbucket repo.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2017-08-10 08:39:15

clayman

With all due respect, I understand your point but I don't want to waste space by keeping a separate kernel I pretty much never needed and with loads of modules, most of which I will never ever need either. My approach has been working for me for years without issues. (In fact, the only time I needed the distribution kernel was when I upgraded my rig, rendering my module setup obsolete. I made sure to install the distro kernel before doing that, however.)

Besides, it does not answer my question. To elaborate, I tried both

asp checkout linux

and

asp export linux

, but all of the PKGBUILD's I got were obsolete and contained information on building 4.11-6 and -7 kernels, respectively. The link slithery provided does appear to have up-to-date files but, as I understand it, it's a global repo with PKGBUILD's for all of Arch's packages and I would prefer to not have to clone the entire repository.

On a final note, yaourt seems to have been updated and now allows me to get the required files through the use of the -G argument. Thanks again to all who replied. smile

#7 2017-08-10 09:55:46

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Did you try 'asp update' before 'asp export'?

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#8 2017-08-10 13:53:58

clayman

I didn't. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, WorMzy. smile I did not know asp kept a local cache that needed updating.

Board footer