You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-19 14:42:01

dougalg

3D games cause reboot - nvidia driver - GTX670

Hi All,

I've gotten my system up and running, and it seems to be mostly fine. My problem is that when I run Rocket League via Steam, the game begins and then after a couple of seconds (before rendering anything) the system reboots. However, settings appear to be fine from what I can see looking at nvidia-settings, and drivers seem OK:

▶ pacman -Q | grep "nvidia\|mesa\|xf86-video"
lib32-mesa 17.1.6-1
lib32-mesa-demos 8.3.0-3
lib32-nvidia-utils 384.59-1
mesa 17.1.6-1
mesa-demos 8.3.0-3
nvidia 384.59-5
nvidia-settings 384.59-1
nvidia-utils 384.59-1

I'm not really sure where to start debugging this. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by dougalg (2017-08-19 14:51:11)

#2 2017-09-14 21:07:19

zulqurnain

Re: 3D games cause reboot - nvidia driver - GTX670

sorry if this isnt to directly relevant to  your problems however i managed to get Starcraft II LOTV running on my rig using a gtx 450 (oldie but goodie) on just NOUVEAU.
When i used less capable cards i would get the reboot. Could mean your card and how it is setup cant handle it, and you could spend endless hours trying one thing or another. For SC2 there is an arch wiki so if there is an arch wiki for your game and you installed via those instructions you should be set because although there were guides for SC2 and wine for linux it wasnt as simple and direct as explained in the SC2 arch wiki.

because i consider SC2 mildly graphic intensive i suggest follow the instructions of the SC2 arch wiki for most games, becuase there was one point that really made things work,
editing the 3D rendering capabilities in the regedit of wine.

in the end i was able to play sc2, (didnt dare to play at ultra or high graphics) and i could play fine online. the only issue i had was when exiting the game i had to reboot the system because it would just hang, small inconvenience i didnt mind.

sum up
try nouveua drivers first (theyre pretty good right now)
follow sc2 arch wiki for setting up wine environment
expect the game not to work 100% perfectly (you must have read the wine database and the ranking your game gets, if it isnt platinum or above i really wouldnt have much hopes unless you embark on making it better)

#3 2017-09-15 07:14:04

seth

Re: 3D games cause reboot - nvidia driver - GTX670

As for the OP: unless there's some weird bug where the game "accidentally" triggers a reboot (what implies a regular shutdown with shutdown messages, cleanly unmounted disks etc.) this simply means the system is underpowered and/or the GPU needs a dedicated 6/8 pin power supply (which you didn't attach)

Board footer