You are not logged in.

#1 2017-08-31 11:10:13

Tondo

[SOLVED] System will not shut down on X1 Carbon 5 after flashing BIOS

I am experiencing very strange behaviour while starting and shutting down my laptop (X1 Carbon 5th gen).
Please excuse my terminology/english. I came from M$ world and I have been using Arch for only ~3 months, so I am surly a newbie. I can't event tell whether this is a HW problem or not.

Firstly, I see delayed boot messages (~20 sec). Normally, I see booting messages immediately after the starting "Lenovo screen" fades.
Secondly, when I shut down my laptop, it ends up in black screen and I can't do anything (not even switching tty with Ctrl+Alt+F2, ...). Laptop reacts to one thing only: long pressing of the shut down button.

These two issues seem to be related and occur subsequently. This seems to happen randomly. I tried to use some installed software to find out if it's usage influences this, but it does not seem likely. Sometimes it happens 2-3 times subsequently, sometimes it does not happen all day. I have spent last 4 hours finding out what produces this behaviour and capturing logs...

This started after my laptop was serviced - they replaced my motherboard (note that X1C 2017 has soldered RAMs and CPU). The reason for that was that my CPU overheated way too often (entire journal was about CPU throttling).

When I first noticed this stuff, I updated everything and flashed BIOS with latest version - without any effect.

Here is dmesg log when I experience "delayed boot messages"

Here is journal log after I shut down system via KDE.

I also tried not to shut down system via KDE, but via `shutdown now` in different session (switched tty). This is a bit interesting, because after last message, the system hangs up for ~20 sec and then display will slowly "fades away" - until it is just plain black (I am not sure how to even describe this - never seen this before). Here are shut down messages:

[  OK  ] Stopped Authorization Manager.
[  OK  ] Stopped Getty on tty2.
[  OK  ] Stopped User Manager for UID 1000.
[  OK  ] Stopped Simple Desktop Display Manager.
[  OK  ] Stopped Save/Restore Sound Card State.
[  OK  ] Stopped Session C3 of user *USER_NAME*.
[  OK  ] Removed slice system-getty.slice.
[  OK  ] Stopped Session C2 of user *USER_NAME*.
[  OK  ] Removed slice User Slice of *USER_NAME* .
[  OK  ] Unmounted /run/user/1000.
[  OK  ] Started Generate shutdown-ramfs.

I have EFI boot and I am using systemd bootloader with this `arch.conf`:

title Arch Linux
linux /vmlinuz-linux
initrd /intel-ucode.img
initrd /initramfs-linux.img
options root=PARTUUID=*SOME_UUID* rw

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Tondo (2017-09-15 18:50:44)

#2 2017-08-31 14:11:59

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] System will not shut down on X1 Carbon 5 after flashing BIOS

Tondo wrote:

...20 sec and then display will slowly "fades away" - until it is just plain black (I am not sure how to even describe this - never seen this before).

Welcome to the Arch Linux forums.  What you describe sounds like the system stopped sending LVDS signals to the LCD display while leaving the display (and back light) powered.  Without periodic updates, the LCD cells will "relax" and fade to their unexcited state.  It gives kind of a fade to black (or white depending on whether the display uses crossed or parallel polarizers)

When you start back up, are the file systems clean? or does the system end up running fsck on them; or perhaps replays journals?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-08-31 14:32:33

Tondo

Thank you for fast response, ewaller.

ewaller wrote:

When you start back up, are the file systems clean? or does the system end up running fsck on them; or perhaps replays journals?

I am not sure how can I check this. Could you, please, point me to some docs?

#4 2017-08-31 14:49:00

ewaller
Administrator

It should show up in the boot messages after you force a shutdown. 
Also, fsck results are posted to your journal.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2017-08-31 21:57:15

Tondo

It "finally" occurred again. This time, while I was using shutdown now, display did not fade out. It still remained frozen after:

[  OK  ] Started Generate shutdown-ramfs.

Anyway, I captured dmesg and journal after forced shutdown. I am not sure what should I be looking for in boot messages, but there is this section in journal:

Aug 31 23:33:34 x1c systemd-fsck[408]: fsck.fat 4.1 (2017-01-24)
Aug 31 23:33:34 x1c systemd-fsck[408]: 0x41: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
Aug 31 23:33:34 x1c systemd-fsck[408]:  Automatically removing dirty bit.
Aug 31 23:33:34 x1c systemd-fsck[408]: Performing changes.
Aug 31 23:33:34 x1c systemd-fsck[408]: /dev/nvme0n1p1: 271 files, 9413/130812 clusters

#6 2017-09-15 18:49:17

Tondo

OK I solved it. I am still not sure what was the main cause of this though...

I have read that it is recommended to reset BIOS settings after flashing it. So I did. It helped.

I hope that it will help to someone.

Board footer