You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-04 15:50:53

gym

Touchpad with Libinput Software Button Area Reconfiguration

Hi forum,

I have just reinstalled my arch laptop (lenovo e440) using libinput as synaptics is no longer actively maintained according to the wiki. My problem is that I find the default clickpad behavior fairly unreliable (discussed here) when it comes to hitting lef/right/middle click.

What I used to with synaptics is to set the the option "SoftButtonAreas" in a way that the entire left half of the clickpad would register as left-click and right half as a right-click. Unfortunately, I cannot find a similar setting for xf86-input-libinput, I have read through the man 4 libinput (which is not too descriptive about the different option's purpose), but there is nothing that seems to be related.

Am I missing something? Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks,
Gym

#2 2017-09-04 16:36:07

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Touchpad with Libinput Software Button Area Reconfiguration

Indeed, you're missing something, but that makes it much easier to point you in the right direction.

The option you are looking for is "Click Method" (which is mentioned in libinput(4)); in particular, you're looking to set the Click Method to "button-areas" if your device supports it / is supported well enough by libinput.

See the libinput documentation for more information.

All the best,

-HG

#3 2017-09-04 17:30:58

gym

Thank you for your response, but I think I was not clear enough with the problem definition.

The option you are suggesting is simply used to enable clickpad software button and switch between the "clickfinger" and "software button area" behavior. What I am looking for is a way to further customize the second one, so instead of having a left/mid/right click lane on the top ( for lenovo *40 series )  and the bottom as click areas I would like to have the entire left and right half of the touchpad as left and right click areas respectively.

With the old synaptics "SoftButtonAreas" option it was possible to define almost arbitrary regions of the clickpad to register as certain mouse button presses and I am looking for a similar option.

Kind Regards,
Gym

#4 2017-09-05 13:21:31

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

In that case, I am not sure it is possible. However, the button-areas setting does offer a way to have the whole left and whole right areas be click regions (from what I could tell of the documentation). Namely, you can do this by enabling middle-mouse emulation.

All the best,

-HG

Board footer