You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-06 20:29:06

svanberg

Non-desirable transparency on dropdown and popup menus

Hi!

I'm trying to achieve transparency on my window titles and root menu in Openbox using Compton as composite manager, which is successfully done with:

menu-opacity = 0.8;
frame-opacity = 0.8;

But a non-desirable side effect is that this also affects opacity of dropdown and popup menus in e.g. Thunar and other applications that uses GTK. Is there a workaround for this issue?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2017-09-07 05:51:49

seth

Re: Non-desirable transparency on dropdown and popup menus

because menu-opacity covers all menus (what means ppup menus in this context)
You've to isolate the openbox popup menu by specific attributes. If that's not possible (most popup menus provide no unique identification properties) you'll have to pick your poison.

#3 2017-09-17 11:16:36

svanberg

I have tried several configurations for Compton, but not making any progress (still transparent menus in GTK applications). Is there someone that can point me in the right direction?

#4 2017-09-17 13:00:29

seth

First and foremost try to dump xprop & xwininfo for the openbox menu(s) - those will tell you whether and how you can isolate it in compton settings.
Don't hold your breath: yu likely can't and then you simply cannot have those translucent while keeping others solid.
(From compton, that is - you could ask openbox devs to allow setting _NET_WM_WINDOW_OPACITY on those popups)

Board footer