You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-06 11:11:59

FUBAR
Website

Got a (great) idea in mind, don't know how to start

I've got a collection of files I'm backing up to DVD because a hard disk crash is never far away. I'd like to keep track of the files I'm burning though. So I've been looking for a tool that does that. There are plenty around, but I haven't come across one that does exactly what I want:

- maintain a list of my files
- keep track of the metadata of interesting files (.mp3, .avi, .jpg, ...)
- store the information in an "accessible format": clear text, database, XML, ... Something other tools can also work with
- freeware
- portable

I've been looking for a while and the need for such a program has only been growing. Now I'm thinking of writing my own, the only problem is I only really know Java and I don't feel like learning a different language because that will only make me abandon the project prematurely.

My question now is if there's someone around who feels like helping me a bit in the right direction by giving tips or showing possible (general) pitfalls. I'd even appreciate some actual coding help too!

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#2 2006-07-07 23:11:03

tomfitzyuk

Re: Got a (great) idea in mind, don't know how to start

Sounds like a good idea. I'd much have a database storing the names of the movies/music/books I've burnt to DVD rather than just labelling the DVD because finding a movie from the collection of DVDs I've got is tedious.

From a quick Google search there seems to exist support for using XML/MySQL with Java:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/ … ector.html

http://java.sun.com/xml/tutorial_intro.html

I would have thought XML was more portable than MySQL but both are still portable.

#3 2006-07-10 17:44:35

FUBAR
Website

Re: Got a (great) idea in mind, don't know how to start

I found Where Is It?. It's not freeware or for Linux, but it seems to do the job quite well. It can also export to SQL! smile

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

Board footer