You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-12 22:22:52

usipusi

Offline installation

To install arch on macbook I need wifi driver broadcom-wl because I dont have ethernet adapter ($$$) or android phone. Recently I used second usb to install `linux` and `linux-headers` packages as dependencies and then the driver itself. But now this method doesnt work. Now in Downloads tab there is only iso with 4.12.8 kernel. After typing in installation console `pacman -U linux.pkg` and `pacman -U linux-headers.pkg` (both 4.12.12 version) I try `depmod -a` but I see the error `no directory ARCH-4.12.8`. It seems that installing packages of later versions makes trouble. So I have some questions: 1) is it correct to install packages of later versions on more older kenel? If no, can u explain what exactly wrong with it. 2) Is there a way to download packages `linux` and `linux-headers` of 4.12.8 version? I searched in "View changes" section but choosing there 4.12.8.1 shows some git info with download of tar archive which holds files for tarball (my speculation). I made `makepkg` there but it fails with error "One or more GPG signatures couldnt be verified". P.S: couldn't find a link for right text formatting at forum. Please leave it here if u know it!

Last edited by usipusi (2017-09-12 22:26:42)

#2 2017-09-12 22:28:31

Slithery
Administrator

Re: Offline installation

usipusi wrote:

2) Is there a way to download packages `linux` and `linux-headers` of 4.12.8 version? I searched in "View changes" section but choosing there 4.12.8.1 shows some git info with download of tar archive which holds files for tarball (my speculation). I made `makepkg` there but it fails with error "One or more GPG signatures couldnt be verified".

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive

Why are you downloading and installing the linux package? It's already present on the installation media.

You only need the linux-headers package that matches the current running kernel.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-09-12 22:33:32

usipusi

slithery wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux_Archive

Why are you downloading and installing the linux package? It's already present on the installation media.

You only need the linux-headers package that matches the current running kernel.

Thanks a lot! Why there is the package with .sig ending? Is it PGP signature? Should I download it too and if yes what should I do with it?

Last edited by usipusi (2017-09-12 22:34:21)

#4 2017-09-13 00:05:58

eschwartz
Fellow

The .sig file is a PGP signature of the package, which pacman will automatically use when installing a package via pacman -U http://mirror.com/repo/os/arch/packagef … pkg.tar.xz
pacman will not verify these when downloading the package via your browser, transferring the package files via usb, and installing them with pacman -U /mnt/secondusbdrive/packagefile-1.0-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

See `man 5 pacman.conf` and the Sigevel, LocalFileSigLevel, and RemoteFileSigLevel options for more details.

Usually, when you install from a repository via `pacman -Syu`, pacman checks these via the signatures embedded in the sync database. You can always verify them by hand using pacman-key.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer