You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-13 14:02:36

starcher

SANE and Samsung SL-C480FW - Help is Needed

Greetings to all linuxheads out there!

I have been a proud Arch user for quite a time, but last days, since that machine (Samsung SL-C480FW) arrived at office, I struggle in dispear to make the most out of it.
I know it works well under linux, as printer and scanner too, coz the guy next desk who runs Debian testing gives me that smirk nowdays and gets on me nerves!
He just downloaded drivers over Samsung's site, run install-printer.sh and install-scanner.sh and there it is! Works like a charm!

Did the same and I can print but i cannot scan sad

At first scanner wasn't detected at all!
After reading https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SA … ms#Samsung I followed thru and now

xerox_mfp.conf reads :

#Samsung C480FW
tcp 192.168.1.2

and

scanimage -L
device `xerox_mfp:tcp 192.168.1.2' is a Samsung C48x Series multi-function peripheral

also, after a little info hunting around, i excluded all other backends from dll.conf
and looks like :

cat dll.conf
xerox_mfp

Oh, i use xsane as frontend.
Haven't messed with it so it runs on defaults. Starts nicely, but when i hit the scan button, at "Receiving RGB Data.." stage hangs up.
fired on terminal, gets me that error message:

xsane
Not a JPEG file: starts with 0x00 0x00

Tried any other available output file type from the drop-down menu on xsane's panel and i got same error message as above every time.
I can't bow down to Debian or any and that particular debian user!
There has to be a way to tame that devil and make it dance for me.

I would be grateful for any refference, idea, anything, please don't hesitate to share.

So, what do you reckon?

Thanks in advance,
An Arch lover.

#2 2017-11-02 17:51:22

scottro
Website

Re: SANE and Samsung SL-C480FW - Help is Needed

While this post is over a month old, it's one of the few things I've found with relevance to Samsung and that error. In my case, I have a Samsung C460W.  Although xsane does work without a problem, running scanimage will get me the same error you mention.   
This post from 2007, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 10#p229810 gave me a hint.  They used scanimage --mode lineart. 

So with a bit of experimenting, I found that running scanimage --mode lineart (or gray) > out.pnm worked. Using --mode color, or no --mode option, gave the me the not a JPEG error.  Trying with a few other systems, I found that a slight older version of libsane in LinuxMint worked. (I didn't try upgrading).  FreeBSD also worked.  Its version of libsane is 1.0.27 (the Arch sane version is 1.0.27-1)   This is the same whether the original has color or is text, so I guess it's the fact that the default mode is color rather than whether the original actually has color in it.

Again, for me, xsane works, it's just scanimage that doesn't.  (Which judging from google seems to be the reverse of what frequently happens.)   

I have identical results in Fedora 27 (current Beta I think) 1.0.27-5. That is, scanimage gives me the not a JPEG unless I use --mode lineart or gray and xsane does work.

Perhaps using scanimage --mode gray might work as a stopgap measure for you.

Last edited by scottro (2017-11-02 18:53:15)

#3 2018-04-12 10:01:11

Fixed

Re: SANE and Samsung SL-C480FW - Help is Needed

What's up, everyone:

The same problem with MFU Samsung M2870FW.

Here is what I have:

$ scanimage -L
device `xerox_mfp:tcp 192.168.100.76' is a Samsung M267x 287x Series multi-function peripheral

Simple-scan interface  starts, but hangs with the rotating wheel after hitting Scan button with the following message:

$ simple-scan
xsane
(simple-scan:2624): Gtk-WARNING **: 12:46:01.233: Failed to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "RegisterClient" with signature "ss" on interface "org.xfce.Session.Manager" doesn't exist

Xsane interface starts, but hitting the button Asquire preview generates the error:

$xsane

Scanner physically reacts to the above commands, i.e. scan starts, but is followed by the errors.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Fixed (2018-04-12 11:25:30)

XFCE4 under Arch on Honor MagicBook

Board footer