You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-06 19:54:39

EAD

Tried Gentoo, didn't like it, here are my conclusions

Hi!
I just want to know how it feels to have Gentoo on your system, so I back up all my files, and put ARCH away (I am sorry for this, buy later), and install Gentoo.
Now, at first it didn't want that good, but after some reading (great documents Gentoo have btw), I successes install this LInux distro.
The problem wasn't let say that it is hard to use or something, I belive that any one can make the effort and lern it, and bypass all the hurdle.
and YES Gentoo is FAST, but that is were it all ends.

Gentoo is fast after you have it running, the problem is making it run.
Every time you want to add even a little bit program like Links, you need to wait a long long time for the compiling process  :x
and it is a waste of my time  :evil:

I think now, that after trying Gentoo, and even other distros like SUSE or mandrive I really like ARCH wich gime me an almost the speed of Gentoo, but use my time much efficient for me to do things with the computer, and not just watching him compiling things  :!:

any comments guys?  :?:

#2 2006-07-06 20:02:48

lumiwa

Re: Tried Gentoo, didn't like it, here are my conclusions

EAD wrote:

Hi!
I just want to know how it feels to have Gentoo on your system, so I back up all my files, and put ARCH away (I am sorry for this, buy later), and install Gentoo.
Now, at first it didn't want that good, but after some reading (great documents Gentoo have btw), I successes install this LInux distro.
The problem wasn't let say that it is hard to use or something, I belive that any one can make the effort and lern it, and bypass all the hurdle.
and YES Gentoo is FAST, but that is were it all ends.

Gentoo is fast after you have it running, the problem is making it run.
Every time you want to add even a little bit program like Links, you need to wait a long long time for the compiling process  :x
and it is a waste of my time  :evil:

My opinion is, each Linux distribution is good and there are user who like Arch or Debian or Gentoo...
BTW yesterday I talked with one friend after long time, he is journalist and I asked him (we talked on Ekiga) which distro he has and his answer was: SuSE because he has not time to do every day something with OS that works correct...
I think now, that after trying Gentoo, and even other distros like SUSE or mandrive I really like ARCH wich gime me an almost the speed of Gentoo, but use my time much efficient for me to do things with the computer, and not just watching him compiling things  :!:
any comments guys?  :?:

My opinion is, each Linux distribution is good and there are user who like Arch or Debian or Gentoo...
BTW yesterday I talked with one friend after long time, he is journalist and I asked him (we talked on Ekiga) which distro he has and his answer was: SuSE because he has not time to do every day something with OS that works correct...

#3 2006-07-06 20:18:43

EAD

lumiwa wrote:

Ok, I have to say something about this, when I have ARCH, yes setting up the system, no metter how many time I did it, take some times and some times have some problems, even for a guy who mad a few install and get some knowledge.
but, after I have put a working ARCH distro on my computer, I allmost don't need to nothing except "pacman -Suy" once in a time, and even then I can still work in the background in my KDE, XFCE ,Gnome and so on.

And what the best in ARCH, that you can really handle things good with the KISS philosphy  :twisted:
also, PACMAN is a great manager, like apt-get for example but with out any unnecessary dependencies.

and let's not forget the best in ARCH that it really FAST  :twisted:   :!:

any way what yours opinion?

#4 2006-07-06 22:34:22

Husio
Website

EAD wrote:
lumiwa wrote:

Ok, I have to say something about this, when I have ARCH, yes setting up the system, no metter how many time I did it, take some times and some times have some problems, even for a guy who mad a few install and get some knowledge.
but, after I have put a working ARCH distro on my computer, I allmost don't need to nothing except "pacman -Suy" once in a time, and even then I can still work in the background in my KDE, XFCE ,Gnome and so on.

But if you're just simple user, you don't know how to set everything up.

And pacman -Suy is sometimes not enougth. Arch linux is not a distro for normal users. Suse, mandriva, ubuntu, fedora etc are slow, but they work, and are simple in configuration. That's all.

And gentoo users are freaks  wink

Anyway, if you like wasting your time you may use abs.

#5 2006-07-06 22:38:20

EAD

Husio wrote:
EAD wrote:
lumiwa wrote:

But if you're just simple user, you don't know how to set everything up.

And pacman -Suy is sometimes not enougth. Arch linux is not a distro for normal users. Suse, mandriva, ubuntu, fedora etc are slow, but they work, and are simple in configuration. That's all.

And gentoo users are freaks  wink

Anyway, if you like wasting your time you may use abs.

I think that what I meant!
I love ARCH because of KISS but still it is fast and easy to use for me, and yes I can use ABS and AUR for making my packages and compiling things in my free time, but unlike Gentoo I have the choise here  :!:

Do you think Gentoo or Suse are good as ARCH?

#6 2006-07-06 22:54:05

allucid

I love Gentoo and I would be using it on my laptop right now if it weren't for all the compiling. It's kind of funny because that's what allows Gentoo the flexibility it has. A blessing and a curse I guess.

Arch is cool, too. I tried Ubuntu for a couple days. It was ok.

I still use Gentoo for servers sometimes (or OpenBSD depending on what software I need and the hardware I am using).

#7 2006-07-07 00:53:46

user

Try other distro if you mind the distro, well i don't care about  distro X over Y..

I would like to recommend

http://www.lxnaydesign.net/
Sabayon Linux is a live DVD designed to transform a computer into a powerful Gentoo Linux system in less than 5 minutes. Gentoo Linux is a Linux distribution powered by a software install manager engine called "Portage". Besides functioning as a live DVD, Sabayon Linux can also be installed on a hard disk, acting effectively as an easy-to-use Gentoo installation disk. The live DVD includes a large range of desktop environments and open source software applications, such as KDE, GNOME, XFce, Fluxbox, KOffice, OpenOffice.org, FreeNX, amaroK, Kaffeine, etc.

http://hedinux.org/
The goal of Hedinux GNU/Linux is to develop an easy-to-use Linux operating system, accessible to all users, irrespective of whether they are computer savvy or not. Hedinux will come in two editions - one for Linux beginners with an intuitive graphical installer and easy system administration tools, while the other will be "from source", designed as a modular system with binary packages built by the user directly from source code. Hedinux is an independently developed distribution inspired by the Linux From Scratch and Beyond Linux From Scratch books.

choice is good thing.

PS: I am very proud  of having haven't used gentoo ever, so what is gentoo?? is it better than python over lfs(or alfs)??

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#8 2006-07-07 02:22:19

ralvez
Website

I think that OSes, in a way, are like cars.
What do we need a car for? to take us from point A to point B and back ... that's all.
But... you can do that in a $ 6,000 or a $ 60,000 car, right? It's just what you like and can afford.

When it comes to OSes is the same. You need an OS that does what you need your way and above all one that you identify with.
I used to run Slackware (for about 4 or 5 years) and I have "tested" other Linuxes too but at the end I always went back to Slack... the reason for me was that Slack worked "my way". I know, people say that it is as friendly as a rattle snake, but it help me learn and I was happy tinkering.
Then one day I came accross Arch (about a year back) and I found it to have "everything" I wanted from Slack PLUS a flexible package manager and to top if off I can even install from source if I want to.  big_smile
For me Arch is "the promissed land" it has all I need, it is fast, stable, easy to maintain and upgrade and the community is fantastic.
I'm sure other people out there will find other Linuxes and OSes more attractive but IMHO nothing I've seen so far bits Arch at any level.

#9 2006-07-07 02:50:48

hypermegachi

here's why i like arch.

hmmm, i want a kick ass package manager like apt.
check!

hmmm, i want it to be simple and easy to configure like slackware where it doesn't get in my way.
check!

hmmm, i want to be able to customize and optimize software when i need to like gentoo.
check!

hmmm, i want to fire up some nice gui apps to configure my program like fedora.

well i can live without the last one tongue

#10 2006-07-07 03:17:57

McQueen

EAD wrote:

Gentoo is fast after you have it running, the problem is making it run. Every time you want to add even a little bit program like Links, you need to wait a long long time for the compiling process  :x  and it is a waste of my time  :evil:

I would just add that I don't feel it is proper to criticize something for performing as it is designed. Gentoo is about primarily installing from source and so complaining on this subject is hardly relevant. Its philosophy has nothing to do with the amount of ease that a user can run a modern Linux desktop. Now, it would certainly be fitting to yank its chain if it _failed_ to compile a lot of programs, or fell well short of meeting the stated goals of the project, but I don't hear you saying this was the case.

/path/to/Truth

#11 2006-07-07 06:32:45

EAD

I think Gentoo as some good things, but the TIME it take you to make this good things can kill all man's time  :evil:

I think what make a good distro is the ability to nake it work in some few time, not days.
beside, Compiling a thing like KDE or X is very very long, and the impromvent of speed you will see is not worth it.

#12 2006-07-07 12:12:53

McQueen

EAD wrote:

I think what make a good distro is the ability to nake it work in some few time, not days.

Then Gentoo is obviously not for you, nor is FreeBSD or many other flavors which are available. A person who is selecting their OS has to be a consumer of sorts and understand the philosophy and goals behind the project they are considering getting involved with and using on their computer. Some of these may not match an individual's own personal interests, but this does not mean they should be criticized for not aligning with certain preferences which have nothing to do with the objectives of the distribution.

/path/to/Truth

#13 2006-07-07 12:22:12

EAD

McQueen wrote:
EAD wrote:

Then Gentoo is obviously not for you, nor is FreeBSD or many other flavors which are available. A person who is selecting their OS has to be a consumer of sorts and understand the philosophy and goals behind the project they are considering getting involved with and using on their computer. Some of these may not match an individual's own personal interests, but this does not mean they should be criticized for not aligning with certain preferences which have nothing to do with the objectives of the distribution.

It seem that you criticized me here, and I dont know why.
Look I have a lot of knodlge about linux, and all realted things.
I am doing a lot of programin in C,C++,JAVA and so on, and I love all computer things, and LINUX in depth  :twisted:

I just think, that maybe sometimes there is a place to change things if people arn't satisfied with.

#14 2006-07-07 13:47:20

lumiwa

If understood correct it was not critics for you.
Each distribution has own "personality". I am on Arch from december 2005 and once I went back to Debian for few day smile and I was looong time on SuSE too but after those mnths I like Arch more and more and because that I am still here. And BTW I didn't have many problems with Arch as you too smile

#15 2006-07-07 14:04:32

EAD

lumiwa wrote:

Each distribution has own "personality". I am on Arch from december 2005 and once I went back to Debian for few day smile and I was looong time on SuSE too but after those mnths I like Arch more and more and because that I am still here. And BTW I didn't have many problems with Arch as you too smile

HII I usually don't have problems and glitches with ARCH, but every time I do have, I am happy with that  :twisted: , why you ask? because then I learn new things and get help from all the good PEPOLE here  :!:
I used Debian and Suse, suse wasn't really for me, Debian is nice but pretty slow and not allways up to date, but seem to be stable thought.

up today ARCH has done a really nice job as an OS, but I am willing to give another try to Gentoo, because I can learn much in Gentoo, and it has some cool things, I just think it take a lot of time that I personaly dont have right now :shock:

#16 2006-07-07 14:48:01

lumiwa

EAD wrote:
lumiwa wrote:

HII I usually don't have problems and glitches with ARCH, but every time I do have, I am happy with that  :twisted: , why you ask? because then I learn new things and get help from all the good PEPOLE here  :!:
I used Debian and Suse, suse wasn't really for me, Debian is nice but pretty slow and not allways up to date, but seem to be stable thought.

up today ARCH has done a really nice job as an OS, but I am willing to give another try to Gentoo, because I can learn much in Gentoo, and it has some cool things, I just think it take a lot of time that I personaly dont have right now :shock:

I am sorry. It was missunderstood. I didn't mean that you have problems with Arch, I hope that I wrote that same as you I don't have problems with the Arch.

#17 2006-07-07 15:09:27

mingfal

I went to search for some details about filesystem after I saw some discution here that reiserfs is a little slower.And I decided to switch to xfs,so I deleted arch and make my root partition xfs.I've wanted to use gentoo for a long time,for I heard gentoo can be customized more and is good for learning system structure.So by this chance I installed gentoo and after 3 hours I realized I can't bear anymore.It's good ,but a waste of time.
Now I'm posting in opera under arch and xfs is really faster than reiserfs(for files that not so small) and causes less cpu usage.

#18 2006-07-07 16:17:19

EAD

mingfal wrote:

I went to search for some details about filesystem after I saw some discution here that reiserfs is a little slower.And I decided to switch to xfs,so I deleted arch and make my root partition xfs.I've wanted to use gentoo for a long time,for I heard gentoo can be customized more and is good for learning system structure.So by this chance I installed gentoo and after 3 hours I realized I can't bear anymore.It's good ,but a waste of time.
Now I'm posting in opera under arch and xfs is really faster than reiserfs(for files that not so small) and causes less cpu usage.

Well you need to give it some more time, try Gentoo for some days before point this.
any why, XFS is good? better then ext3 or reiserfs?

#19 2006-07-07 20:49:20

Gullible Jones

XFS has better overall performance than ReiserFS, and is very good with huge files... It absolutely sucks with small files though. If you use pacman on XFS without pacman-drive or somesuch, you'll have to deal with your HDD grindinig away uselessly for several minutes...

#20 2006-07-08 06:45:46

user

so reiserfs or reiser4 rule, after 2.6.18, it better than now.

I removed my sig, cause i select the flag, the flag often the target of enemy.

SAR brain-tumor
[img]http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/460/cellphonethumb0ff.jpg[/img]

#21 2006-07-08 11:25:05

mingfal

EAD wrote:
mingfal wrote:

Well you need to give it some more time, try Gentoo for some days before point this.

Well,gentoo took me a night to install and a afternoon to upgrade.And perhaps within some days I can't even get a complete working environment.Maybe I'll try it again when I have time.But I really enjoy arch very much.

#22 2006-07-08 12:06:26

EAD

mingfal wrote:
EAD wrote:
mingfal wrote:

Well,gentoo took me a night to install and a afternoon to upgrade.And perhaps within some days I can't even get a complete working environment.Maybe I'll try it again when I have time.But I really enjoy arch very much.

Well I didn't understand, you used Gentoo or not?
and you like it?
What do you have to say about it?

#23 2006-07-08 15:50:59

mingfal

But I really enjoy *arch* very much.
I used gentoo.I installed it,upgraded and that took me a long time.I think it's a good distribution,but I don't like it,because it takes too much time.

#24 2006-07-08 16:47:54

mingfal

mingfal wrote:

But I really enjoy *arch* very much.
I used gentoo.I installed it,upgraded and that took me a long time.I think it's a good distribution,but I don't like it,because it takes too much time.

And I'm sorry for my poor English.

#25 2006-07-08 16:58:53

deficite

Your English is pretty good. Just try to put spaces after your punctuation marks. smile

Board footer