You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-17 07:54:46

Scruffman

Kernel Boot Hangs on Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)[SOLVED]

I am trying to install Arch Linux with a USB installer on an ASUS N90S laptop. However, I've encountered an issue where after I select boot Arch Linux from the initial splash screen of the Arch Linux installer, it hangs on the message 'Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)'. I have tried disabling EDD by using edd=off like it says but then it would just hang on a blank screen. I ran it using the loglevel=7 kernel parameter and added the last three lines of its output below.

registered taskstats version 1
Loading compiled-in X.509 certificates
zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud

Here are the kernel parameters I tried
edd=off
loglevel=7 (for debugging)
zswap.enabled=0 (not sure if this one actually work because the 'zswap: loaded using pool lzo/zbud' message still appears)
intel_pstate=no_hwp (based on a forum post but I'm unsure what this does)

I've tested the USB installer on another laptop and it worked just fine and a DVD installer isn't an option since the disc drive doesn't work. I attempted running Memtest 86+ as well, but it didn't find any problems. Then I searched through the BIOS for any UEFI or boot related settings I could change; unfortunately the only one I could find was secure boot which was already turned off.

Any clue what else I could try to at least get Arch Linux booted so I can install it?

Last edited by Scruffman (2017-09-20 04:09:04)

#2 2017-09-20 04:09:56

Scruffman

Re: Kernel Boot Hangs on Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)[SOLVED]

I disabled the Wireless in BIOS security settings and Arch Linux then booted successfully.
I also updated the BIOS, but I doubt both measures were necessary.

Board footer