You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-21 09:11:44

quyse
Website

stack-1.5.1 breaks backward compatibility without version increase

Hi,

I noticed that haskell `stack` Arch package is regularly updated with build from some commit from master branch of upstream Github repository. Well, maybe it was always like this, but recently I had hard time understanding why stack doesn't accept my stack.yaml with custom snapshot (asked on stackoverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/q/46288963/960629). Turns out that master branch in git repository of stack contains breaking change about format of custom snapshots, so my stack.yaml is not accepted anymore by stack from Arch package.

My main point of confusion was that stack from Arch package reports (via `stack --version`) the same version 1.5.1 as the official released binary from haskellstack.org. The official binary 1.5.1 however does not contain that breaking change (because it was introduced after 1.5.1 release) and still accepts my stack.yaml.

So I have a few questions:

1. Is it right that stack the Arch package is constantly updated with the version from master? I'm used to Arch's way of having the very latest software, but I thought it's officially released versions from upstreams.
2. If stack is to be updated from master, maybe it should at least report the version different from official release? I see the package's version is 1.5.1.20170916 at the moment, and I would say change in just 4th number is not enough indication for the case of the breaking change, which was probably intended for the next major version by developers. And even then `stack --version` reports just "1.5.1".

I've been staying with Arch for a few years now, but wasn't involved with Arch community a lot, so please forgive me if I'm asking wrong questions!

Thanks.

Board footer