Since this sync is taking a long time, I decided I'd better ask a question rather than experiment and risk having downloaded all for nothing. When I ran sync update, it asked me questions about replacing some stuff with core utils (yeah go ahead) and module-init-tools, no problem.
But then pacman tells me that font-config conflicts with xfree86. Remove xfree86? I'd kind of like xfree86; this is a desktop machine. I answered yes, just to get the update going, hoping that I might resolve stuff later. Now I'd like to know what I should do to ensure that I can still boot into X after the upgrade is done.
I ran pacman -Sy pacman first, then pacman -Syu. Now I'm working on just pacman -Su so that I don't have to download the new KDE stuff all over again. I'll be using flux when I get around to it, so I don't need the latest kde (I'll IgnorePkg it). However, I think I do need xfree86 if I want to run either fluxbox or kde... and I don't care about fontconfig, do I? How do I get around the conflict? --force?
You should read the news on the front page and probably the announce section of the forum.
All of the major problematic upgrades are mentioned there.
I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal
Sorry about that. I thought I'd read about the problem somewhere, but couldn't find it again. give me an F for not looking hard enough.
Guess I'll have to figure out how to connect from !kppp before I can handle this one.