You are not logged in.

#1 2017-09-28 23:31:18

LucetLux

[SOLVED] (bios issue) Virtualbox reports conflict with KVM

I used to use virtualbox for virtual machines quite a while ago but now kvm is integrated into the kernel and that conflicts with virtualbox.
I found this online https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kvm-virtualbox.html and followed it to disable kvm kernel modules but virtualbox still gives me this message even after the kvm modules are disabled:

AMD-V is being used by another hypervisor (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).
VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, recompile your kernel and reboot (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).

Is there something else I need to do? I couldn't find anything relevant to this conflict in the wiki.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LucetLux (2017-09-30 01:42:37)

#2 2017-09-29 00:28:03

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] (bios issue) Virtualbox reports conflict with KVM

LucetLux wrote:

but now kvm is integrated into the kernel and that conflicts with virtualbox.

Really? Do you have a more authoritative source than a six year old blog post for that assertion?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2017-09-29 01:58:23

LucetLux

It is integrated into the kernel and it conflicts with virtualbox so, yes. Regardless of that post it is definitely conflicting with virtualbox and I couldn't find anything else relevant to this issue.
BTW. No need for the smug tone, if you don't want to help me I'm sure someone else will.

#4 2017-09-29 02:07:56

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

My tone wan't smug, it was incredulous. kvm was added 10 years ago, and you have only now just experienced this purported conflict? You don't think that, if this were true, there would be a lot more people complaining about this? Or the wiki might include a note about blacklisting the module in order to avoid it?

Rather than just keep asserting it as fact, perhaps consider that it is not, and that you have a separate issue?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2017-09-29 03:05:49

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

LucetLux wrote:

It is integrated into the kernel and it conflicts with virtualbox so, yes. Regardless of that post it is definitely conflicting with virtualbox and I couldn't find anything else relevant to this issue.
BTW. No need for the smug tone, if you don't want to help me I'm sure someone else will.

No it doesn't, virtualbox works fine here. As you would probably be able to guess from the lack of threads/bug reports right now.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2017-09-29 19:18:32

LucetLux

First of all if I misunderstood you I apologize, but it isn't the first time I've had someone here reply to me that way, I think people just seem to assume that because you use arch you should know everything about it, I know how to install it and use it regularly with no problems but I don't know every use case problem with every application.

Now thay that's out of the way, I haven't used virtualbox in quite a while and I didn't know if it was still popular, I just wanted to use it because it's what I know.
I just assumed this was the issue because it's what virtualbox is telling me, (is it really that wrong to assume that what an application is telling me is true and not some other obscure issue?) and it had the same issue a while ago and I didn't bother fixing it, if a conflict with kvm isn't the problem and it's something else please enlighten me as I have no clue as to what else could be causing this issue.
Virtualization is enabled in the bios, that's the first thing I checked also I haven't installed any other virtualization programs.

#7 2017-09-29 21:30:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I'm not expecting that you know everything about it (on balance, I'm definitely in the lower half of our regular user base's technical competency myself). However, making absolute statements are annoying, especially when:-

1. A clear conflict would show up almost immediately in the form of bug reports with commonly used packages like the kernel+virtualbox
2. The LACK of the above, coupled with you having had the same issue before, should have been a hint that this isn't a common issue.

Both these statements don't really require any great knowledge or experience. And going down this line of thinking helps you most of all, because if you do have an issue which is not common to all virtualbox+linux users, you can start trying to narrow down what differs between your system and configuration and everyone else's, and verify that by searched solutions.

Unfortunately I can't really help as I have not experienced this problem before. What I CAN help you with, however, is by providing this link - http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html which covers what I've already said (Don't rush to claim that you have found a bug) as well as other useful tips. In particular, the thread title here is decidedly low visibility, and I really only happened into this thread because I was just reading about kvm benchmarks....

Final note - error messages are (mostly) useful, but should be the starting point, not the assumed truth.

EDIT: A quick google search on your error message shows recommendations to upgrade your bios, among other things. Something which I normally just assume you've already done.

Last edited by ngoonee (2017-09-29 21:33:46)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2017-09-30 01:41:51

LucetLux

I'm not assuming that what the error message tells me is the absolute truth, I just assume the problem has something to do with it, I could have used words like "maybe" "perhaps" and the sort but I can't use that sort of wording for every problem I find, anyway, sorry if it seemed like I assumed things wrongly. I agree that the title of the thread could have been more open.
I googled for the error message before posting it here and couldn't find anything other than years old posts about conflicts with kvm, it's not that I didn't find it odd that I couldn't find recent posts about this and that nobody else was having the problem but it isn't the first time I've found issues nobody else finds and I had to resolve on my own, it had happened to me several times actually.

Back to the issue, it's solved, like you suggested it was the BIOS, upgrading it fixed the issue, now I know I seem like an idiot for not trying that earlier but hear me out, my previous motherboard that I had been using for years got fried a few years ago and I changed it for a new (old) one, I completely forgot that I hadn't tried to use virtualbox since having this motherboard, so I assumed it wasn't a problem with the BIOS.

Sorry for making this thread and wasting your time but thanks anyway for your help, I wouldn't have solved this issue without it.

Board footer