You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-02 16:31:17

izzno
Member
Registered: 2017-05-24
Posts: 11

[Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

I found a solution here: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/571370
Pointing to a patch here: https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-host … dedd9c8a4d

I found the way to apply the patch (Or you can figure it out with this post):
https://communities.vmware.com/message/2708206#2708206

So, I cant try this until tomorrow but I know there are people asking for it, this is supposed to do the trick. Ill get back with detailed description tomorrow.

Keep it civil people!

Last edited by izzno (2017-10-19 11:03:15)

Offline

#2 2017-10-02 19:21:43

revil
Member
Registered: 2016-12-12
Posts: 1

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

It works. Thanks smile

Offline

#3 2017-10-02 22:25:44

papajonpizza
Member
From: Los Angeles
Registered: 2013-06-13
Posts: 12
Website

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

I downgraded the kernel to 4.12.13-1 for now and it's working very well. VMware Player 14 is running with a couple of active applications.  On the host Arch Linux running 2 instances of Chrome with many tabs open and Firefox, no issues at all.

Thank you msimpason for the idea of downgrading.


Xiaomi Notebook Air 13 - 13.3" display | Intel Core i5 6200 | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD | Arch Linux -  GNOME desktop

Offline

#4 2017-10-06 18:08:07

izzno
Member
Registered: 2017-05-24
Posts: 11

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

So here's the crud fix! Works like a charm...

sudo su
cd /tmp
cp /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar .
tar xf vmmon.tar
rm vmmon.tar
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/fadedd9c8a4dd23f74da2b448572df95666dfe12/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c
mv -f hostif.c vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c 
tar cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
rm -fr vmmon-only
mv -f vmmon.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar 
vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Reboot, enjoy

Offline

#5 2017-10-07 00:47:54

papajonpizza
Member
From: Los Angeles
Registered: 2013-06-13
Posts: 12
Website

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

izzno wrote:

So here's the crud fix! Works like a charm...

... refer to the post above...

Reboot, enjoy

You are a wonderful person!  big_smile

I've been itching to get my daily pacman -Syu, and today I got it after seeing your post. Kernel 4.13.4-1 did not fix the "not enough memory" VMWare problem, but your solution and instructions worked perfectly!

Thank you very much, izzno!


Xiaomi Notebook Air 13 - 13.3" display | Intel Core i5 6200 | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD | Arch Linux -  GNOME desktop

Offline

#6 2017-10-08 20:29:41

arti74
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2009-10-21
Posts: 27

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

Great, it works for me too!

Offline

#7 2017-10-10 02:58:50

rusty725
Member
Registered: 2014-02-16
Posts: 81

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

Thank You Izzno, this fixes the memory problem but it doesnt fix vmnet nat problem.

Offline

#8 2017-10-10 16:23:52

izzno
Member
Registered: 2017-05-24
Posts: 11

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

I wassnt aware of a NAT issue, I bridge all VMs.

Offline

#9 2017-10-17 13:58:09

gasparov
Member
Registered: 2006-02-10
Posts: 15

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

rusty725 wrote:

Thank You Izzno, this fixes the memory problem but it doesnt fix vmnet nat problem.

Which ones? different from the one that has a solution in the wiki?

BTW izzno suggestion didn't work for me, I add to use this commit https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mkube … x/hostif.c

Anyway thanks a lot izzno, great help!!!

Last edited by gasparov (2017-10-17 14:37:58)

Offline

#10 2017-10-18 09:54:43

rusty725
Member
Registered: 2014-02-16
Posts: 81

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

gasparov wrote:
rusty725 wrote:

Thank You Izzno, this fixes the memory problem but it doesnt fix vmnet nat problem.

Which ones? different from the one that has a solution in the wiki?

BTW izzno suggestion didn't work for me, I add to use this commit https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mkube … x/hostif.c

Anyway thanks a lot izzno, great help!!!

seems the last kernel update fixed it.

Offline

#11 2017-10-27 17:47:29

mssadewa
Member
From: Jakarta
Registered: 2017-08-16
Posts: 4

Re: [Solved] VMWare Workstation 14.0 - not enough physical memory

izzno wrote:

So here's the crud fix! Works like a charm...

sudo su
cd /tmp
cp /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar .
tar xf vmmon.tar
rm vmmon.tar
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mkubecek/vmware-host-modules/fadedd9c8a4dd23f74da2b448572df95666dfe12/vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c
mv -f hostif.c vmmon-only/linux/hostif.c 
tar cf vmmon.tar vmmon-only
rm -fr vmmon-only
mv -f vmmon.tar /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar 
vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

Reboot, enjoy

awesome! Thank you izzno! smile


"The Sky and The Sea"

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB