You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-03 13:37:05

Asaf K.

Enable tapping the touchpad for clicking only with a modifier key

I am using a Dell XPS 13 (9360) with Arch for a while now. I'm running Openbox on SLiM, if that matters.

My touchpad was by default configured so that tapping for clicking is disabled. So if I want to click a mouse button, I need to click my touchpad, and that produces an audible click.

Now. I prefer it this way. I see how the way I put my hands on the keyboard can sometimes touch the touchpad, and with my previous portable machine I had a repeating problem of "accidental clicks" of this very nature. However, it is useful sometimes, e.g. when I am trying to be quiet, to have the tap-to-click option enabled.

Is it possible to have a modifier key to enable it? So if I hold the Alt-key, then I can use tapping to click instead of clicking the pad itself?

#2 2017-10-04 03:35:39

GenkiSky

Re: Enable tapping the touchpad for clicking only with a modifier key

Are you using the xf86-input-synaptics driver package? If so, you could use the shell command `synclient TapButton1=0` or `synclient TapButton1=1` to on-the-fly disable or enable, respectively, tap-to-click.

Alternatively, if you are not, you can install xorg-xinput and use xinput(1) to achieve the same effect: See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … figuration (in your case, you could look for the setting number corresponding to "Tapping Enabled" when running your `xinput list-props <device>` command ).

Once you find a command that does what you want, you could then make some sort of keybinding to run this command; I don't use Openbox myself but the internet seems to say there are ways to do this in Openbox configuration.

Last edited by GenkiSky (2017-10-04 03:44:46)

#3 2017-10-04 04:42:34

Asaf K.

Re: Enable tapping the touchpad for clicking only with a modifier key

Thanks, that helps. I added a keybinding to toggle the tap. It's not quite what I had in mind, but it's a start. I'll leave this open for a bit longer, in case there is a way to have a modifier key and I just don't know about it.

Board footer