You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-03 14:57:52

lumeno
Member
Registered: 2014-04-21
Posts: 20

Multihead HiDPI

I'm having a hard time finding a solution for a set-up that I would think is very common, and I'm surprised there isn't a simple solution out there already.

I'm running Arch Linux with i3 on my laptop. It has a 1366x768 screen.

Sometimes I bring it to work and dock it at desk and connect a 4k monitor to it. It has a resolution of 3840x2160.

Ideally, I'd like to use both screens. By default, xrandr will set things up so that the dpi is the same and things on the 4k screen look too small.

Most of the proposed solutions out there are application-specific. For example, if I set --dpi in xrandr globally, it only helps with the i3 panel. Chromium and terminator still appear with small text and icons.

Is there a way to set the dpi individually on each screen in such a way that all applications respect it? Gnome 3 seems to do it out of the box. But I don't want to switch from i3 to Gnome just for this.

Last edited by lumeno (2017-10-03 14:58:23)

Offline

#2 2017-10-03 16:16:24

V1del
Forum Moderator
Registered: 2012-10-16
Posts: 25,404

Re: Multihead HiDPI

Afaik you can't set individual dpi, this is one of the things Wayland fixes. I'd be interested if someone knows more here.

Offline

#3 2017-10-03 17:05:59

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,141

Re: Multihead HiDPI

X11/Xorg supports only one logical DPI.
Regardless of that, clients can oc. make use of xrandr to calculate the physical DPI of each output (and offer precedence to the logical one and whatnot)
The major limitation of X11 compared to wayland is actually not the DPI but input redirection.
A compositor *could* in theory scale windows according to the positional physical DPI, but that has no impact on the dimensions of the actual window - which receives input directly.
IOW, eg. gnome on xorg could *look* just like gnome on wayland, but you'd always misclick things because they're not where they appear to be.

Offline

#4 2017-10-04 10:56:09

seiichiro0185
Member
From: Leipzig/Germany
Registered: 2009-04-09
Posts: 226
Website

Re: Multihead HiDPI

Did you try to use the --scale option in xrandr? It should be able change the "zoom-factor" for a specific output/screen and work with all applications. I have used it to downscale an external screen so a HiDPI Laptop setup wouldn't look  overly big on the external FullHD screen. It should also work the other way round to my understanding.


My System: Dell XPS 13 | i7-7560U | 16GB RAM | 512GB SSD | FHD Screen | Arch Linux
My Workstation/Server: Supermicro X11SSZ-F | Xeon E3-1245 v6 | 64GB RAM | 1TB SSD Raid 1 + 6TB HDD ZFS Raid Z1 | Proxmox VE
My Stuff at Github: github
My Homepage: Seiichiros HP

Offline

#5 2017-10-04 12:21:25

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,141

Re: Multihead HiDPI

If possible, it's actually better to use one of the announced lower resolutions of the output (eg. 1920x1080), but either way will kill the 4k aspect of the monitor...

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB