You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-09 00:39:34

themansy

gnome randomly freezes and log me out

hello,
i am using arch with gnome recently i had a problem that gnome keeps freezing randomly without a spacefic reason and logout
It seems to me that this happen every time I use some specific patterns:
- Load new page in Firefox (but randomly, I can open many pages before it happens)
- Use the "windows display" function of Gnome Shell (mouse on left up corner)
- Watching a video by vlc

when it freezes nothing works Ctrl + Alt + F? do nothing, so impossible to check what is going on (dmesg, ps, etc).

edit 1 : i think it might be a GPU issue how to make sure that it isn't ? i have intel and amd GPUs

Last edited by themansy (2017-10-09 00:44:07)

#2 2017-10-09 00:47:12

mpan
Website

Re: gnome randomly freezes and log me out

Probably xorg crashes.

I don’t use GNOME and even if I would use it, I would probably couldn’t reproduce that due to different video cards and/or kernel module, so I can only point you to ideas on how to debug the problem or provide others with useful information:

1. Just after the crash happens, log in from console and do:

# journalctl -e

What you are searching for are recent errors that occured at the time or just before the problem. These are marked red and nearly surely will be marked as coming from your video driver.

2. Switch to a different kernel module: for example for NVidia cards you have nouveau (the libre one) and nvidia (the proprietary one). See if you can observe any difference.

3. I don’t remember if it’s possible in GNOME, but see if disabling or enabling compositor helps.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#3 2017-10-30 12:02:18

ganlu

Re: gnome randomly freezes and log me out

Board footer