You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-11 13:51:59

Pillgrimm

[SOLVED] KDE user manager ruined my ability to use sudo?

I made the horrible newbie mistake of trying KDE, and somehow after playing with the user manager -- giving myself an icon, real name, and email address -- and a reboot, my password had changed. I changed it back with passwd, but now when I run sudo it tells me I'm not in the sudoers file. I think it's worth mentioning I've been using a new user account (zer0) pretty much since install, and when I saw in kde user manager that I had never deleted the old one (zpill), I went ahead and removed it, but oddly, KDE warned me that zpill was currently logged in (He wasn't) and this would cause problems. I should've took the message, but I figured kde was being tweaky and it would only cause problems for the nonexistent user.

If I create a new user and add him to the wheel group, sudo works for him.

$ groups zer0
lp wheel zer0

in /etc/sudoers:

root ALL=(ALL) ALL
%wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL
Defaults targetpw

Other than these shenannigans, kde's great!

EDIT: not sure what happened here. As far as I can tell, nothing was changed in the /etc/group file, but I re-added myself to the wheel group with

# gpasswd -a zer0 wheel

and now everything seems to be working fine, but if someone could elaborate on what might've happened here, I'd be very appreciative.

Last edited by Pillgrimm (2017-10-11 14:05:16)

Board footer