You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-12 05:54:10

Caspian

[SOLVED] Plasma vault dependencies

With the update of KDE Plasma to 5.11 we got plasma vault application.
However, I'm not able to use it since on creating new vault it states that the wrong version of CryFS and EncFS is installed.
For EncFS it requires version 1.9.1 (current version in Arch repos is 1.9.2) and for CryFS it requires 0.9.6 (current version in Arch repos is 0.9.7).
Is there a way to work around this limitation and make plasma vault use the newer version provided from the repository?
If not I suggest removing this application from the repository completely, since it doesn't make much sense in the current state.

Last edited by Caspian (2017-10-14 06:31:03)

#2 2017-10-12 07:46:41

arojas
Developer

Re: [SOLVED] Plasma vault dependencies

Have you actually installed any of those packages?

#3 2017-10-12 08:20:23

GreenTuxer
Website

If he hadn't, the message wouldn't be "wrong version", don't you think?

I have exactly the same issue. Plasma Vaults for the new Plasma 5.11, CryFS 0.9.7 (Vaults only works with exactly 0.9.6) and EncFS 1.9.2 (Vaults requires 1.9.1), can't create new Vaults.

#4 2017-10-12 08:46:12

arojas
Developer

GreenTuxer wrote:

If he hadn't, the message wouldn't be "wrong version", don't you think?

No, I don't think. That is *exactly* the message that you get if you don't have them installed.

#5 2017-10-12 09:02:51

Caspian

@arojas: I actually don't have any of those installed big_smile Sorry for reporting this, but it seems to me that at least one of those solutions should be set as a default one and installed as a mandatory dependency of plasma-vault package (or have user choose one of them on during the plasma-vault installation). Installing plasma-vault without any of them doesn't seem very user friendly to me.

#6 2017-10-12 09:03:01

GreenTuxer
Website

Well, I guess I am a retard, then. big_smile big_smile And I learnt when to shut up.

I also had the same issue, I could swear I had the packages installed, but I hadn't. And then I said this hahahah. You are completely right!

I'm sorry smile

EDIT: The message is not very well built, it should show up if the version is lower, if not found, should be "not found".

Last edited by GreenTuxer (2017-10-12 09:03:47)

#7 2017-10-12 09:30:57

Slithery
Administrator

Caspian wrote:

@arojas: I actually don't have any of those installed big_smile Sorry for reporting this, but it seems to me that at least one of those solutions should be set as a default one and installed as a mandatory dependency of plasma-vault package (or have user choose one of them on during the plasma-vault installation). Installing plasma-vault without any of them doesn't seem very user friendly to me.

Pacman will have told you about optional dependencies when you installed plasma-vault. Not reading the output is the issue here, not the dependency chain.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#8 2017-10-12 14:15:40

Caspian

slithery wrote:

Pacman will have told you about optional dependencies when you installed plasma-vault. Not reading the output is the issue here, not the dependency chain.

I saw the pacman output, but your problem is that you obviously don't know what is mandatory and what optional dependency. If application can't function without something that means that's a mandatory dependency. plasma-vault without encryption solution is nothing. That's why I proposed to make one of the solutions a default encryption library and list the other one as optional dependency, or even better ask user to choose between the two during the plasma-vault installation.

#9 2017-10-12 15:49:47

Slithery
Administrator

One of my packages in the AUR has a similar issue, it hard-depends on either GTK2 or GTK3 - which I both list as optdepends.
If I was to force GTK3 then for people with only GTK2 installed it would mean having to install an unneeded package (and vice-versa if I forced GTK2). Leaving it up to the user provides the most flexibility

I imagine in your situation this could be resolved by having plasma-vault depend on a new plasma-vault-encryption meta-package, with both solutions providing this. If you want to suggest this then the best course of action would be to file a bug against the plasma-vault package.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer