You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-13 14:25:47

mries92

[SOLVED] Question about dbus-launch vs. exec

Hello everybody. I am pretty new to this stuff, but am slowly learning. Sorry if this is a bad place to post, but its not really an issue so I didn't think it was appropriate for the newbie corner. My question is about the dbus-launch command. I finished setting up my machine a few days ago and started working on getting remote desktop working. It was a long learning process and I finally managed to get it working, but it only works when I have "dbus-launch startkde" as opposed to "exec startkde" in my ~/.xinitrc file. If I don't have this command I get an error when logging in that goes something like "cannot connect to d-bus session". My question is what exactly does this command do and how is it different from exec? Why would my remote desktop not work when using regular exec? I am using xrdp with tigervnc.

Last edited by mries92 (2017-10-13 15:13:46)

#2 2017-10-13 14:30:39

Slithery
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Question about dbus-launch vs. exec

Does your ~/.xinitrc contain all of the appropriate boilerplate or does it only contain the exec command?

If the latter then you're doing it wrong...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#xinitrc

AFAIK you should never use dbus-launch for anything.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#3 2017-10-13 14:36:09

mries92

Hey slithery, thanks for the reply. Sorry for my ignorance but as I said I'm pretty new to this. There was a bunch of stuff already in the .xinitrc file which I deleted at the suggestion of another forum post and simply put "dbus-launch startkde". This solved my problem and didn't seem to cause any issues so I figured it must be fine. I was stupid and did not make a backup before doing this. Is there a way to get all this boilerplate code back?

#4 2017-10-13 14:44:24

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I gather the forum post you read was from a long time ago - dbus-launch used to be the recommended way.

mries92 wrote:

Is there a way to get all this boilerplate code back?

Yes.  Read the link you were just provided with.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2017-10-13 14:59:44

mries92

You guys are the best! I restored the boilerplate code and included "exec starkde" instead of dbus-launch and everything is running 100% now! This forum is so helpful to us new guys. Really appreciate it.

#6 2017-10-13 15:02:58

Slithery
Administrator

Glad we could help.

Don't forget to mark the thread [SOLVED]...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ow_to_post

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Board footer