You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-14 05:49:28

covis

EVE Online - Massive FPS drop when moving mouse cursor

Hey everyone,

recently I've been getting this strange problem with EVE performance. A couple of days ago I ran eve with the latest wine-staging and it ran well.
Then all of a sudden it stopped launching without any discernable reason. I was about to give up on it when I got the semi-official Linux EVE launcher to run which enabled me to play the game again since it uses another wine version which magically works. BUT with this came a new problem: Anytime I would move the mouse cursor, the game would somewhat freeze or rather drop to 0-5 fps. But if I hold down the left mouse button the effect vanishes! Basically the exact same problem as this guy was having. But his "solution" doesn't work for me.

Some observations:

• The mouse cursor flickers when moving, didn't have that before.

• When watching htop during the ordeal, I can see the CPU load drop from 110% for the eve process to about 50%! Is the system taking resources away from EVE when I move the mouse? strange...

• The problem occurs regardless of windowed/fullscreen/fixed mode and regardless of the wine version I select in the EVE launcher. With my system wine version (latest wine or wine-staging) though the game continues to refuse to launch...

My system:
Lenovo Thinkpad T450
Arch Linux
Awesome WM
everything up-to-date

Thanks for reading, I would appreciate any input on this situation!

edit: Got the game running again without the Linux EVE launcher purely using wine-staging and have the same problem there too. CPU load drops from 170~ to 145~ when moving the mouse, fps drops like crazy regardless.
edit2: Changed the game to direct3d 11 and the issue went away.  This doesn't work with the wine-only way of launching EVE but only with the Linux EVE launcher. In order to use the system wine-staging version with it though, I had to symlink /usr/bin/wineserver to ~/.eve/wine/bin though, otherwise he wouldn't start wine because of a version mismatch as the Linux EVE launcher seems to start its own wineserver.
*solved*

Last edited by covis (2017-10-14 08:31:24)

Board footer