You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-18 13:33:51

effeeffe

[SOLVED] Blank screen after lid opening

Recently (last month, the system is daily updated) I am experiencing issues with my laptop regarding lid opening and closing.

Today I locked the screen and close the lid. After opening it, nothing happened and I had to restart. I experienced similar behavior many times recently.

What can I do to identify the issue? Which logs are relevant?

Laptop: HP 15-ac040nl
DE: Gnome

Possibly relevant: I am also using a second monitor. When the system was frozen, I tried to unplug the HDMI but nothing changed.

Don't know if journalctl can be of any help:

ott 18 14:23:03 charles systemd-logind[328]: Lid opened.
ott 18 14:23:03 charles gnome-shell[508]: Failed to apply DRM plane transform 0: Permission denied
ott 18 14:23:03 charles gnome-shell[508]: Failed to apply DRM plane transform 0: Permission denied
ott 18 14:23:03 charles gnome-shell[508]: Failed to read EDID from 'HDMI-1': No such file or directory
ott 18 14:23:03 charles gnome-shell[508]: Failed to read EDID from 'HDMI-1': No such file or directory
ott 18 14:25:02 charles systemd-logind[328]: Power key pressed.
-- Reboot --

If you can tell where to look to do some debugging, or what additional information I should provide, that would be great.

EDIT: some update at some point seems to have solved it.

Last edited by effeeffe (2018-01-08 09:50:50)

#2 2017-10-18 14:39:42

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Blank screen after lid opening

Can you ssh into the box when it is in this state?  can you ping it?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2017-10-23 14:05:37

jonno2002

im having the same problem lately too, sometimes when i open my laptop lid the screen stays black, i can plug hdmi cable in and use the laptop fine but cannot turn the laptop screen on back on from display settings, after a restart everything is fine again. only does it once in a while too which is even stranger.
i dont lock my screen or have a screen saver or any power management that turns the screen off, just "HandleLidSwitch=ignore" in logind.conf.
has only started doing this recently, has been fine for over a year previous to this.

laptop: toshiba p50 PSPMHA-01D00L
DE: xfce

cant find anything in dmesg or journal apart from "Lid opened" and "Lid closed"

i thought this might have been specific to my laptop but obviously not, its quite anoying

#4 2017-10-23 15:02:45

effeeffe

ewaller wrote:

Can you ssh into the box when it is in this state?  can you ping it?

Didn't try, I will if it happens again, it worked fine in the last few days...

jonno2002 wrote:

im having the same problem lately too, sometimes when i open my laptop lid the screen stays black, i can plug hdmi cable in and use the laptop fine but cannot turn the laptop screen on back on from display settings, after a restart everything is fine again. only does it once in a while too which is even stranger.
i dont lock my screen or have a screen saver or any power management that turns the screen off, just "HandleLidSwitch=ignore" in logind.conf.
has only started doing this recently, has been fine for over a year previous to this.

laptop: toshiba p50 PSPMHA-01D00L
DE: xfce

cant find anything in dmesg or journal apart from "Lid opened" and "Lid closed"

i thought this might have been specific to my laptop but obviously not, its quite anoying

I am not sure it is the same issue since mine looks completely frozen when it happens: no external monitor, cannot switch tty...

#5 2017-10-23 15:24:38

miker

This sounds like the issue I read about on the archmerge forums. https://archmerge.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=79

I am using my laptop from a docking station, and the lid is closed - as i have external monitor connected to docking station as well.
Whenever i turn on  the laptop - i got a blank screen , my CPU goes to 100% and if i click any mouse button , then and only then will i get normal lightdm login screen.
Problem is a "known bug":
Reported Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1410406
Solution for now is to open /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and at the bottom just add this line:
active-monitor=0

The info quoted above was with using gnome/lightdm, and mentioned 100% CPU usage (which wasn't mentioned by the OP) but the symptoms sound the same. Hopefully, the solution mentioned does the trick.

#6 2017-10-23 23:41:17

jonno2002

thats nothing like my issue, mine is after the machine has been running and the lid is closed and then opened again after any period of time, and it only happens occasionally which  is even harder to identify the cause. the machine does not sleep or hibernate either its left running with the lid closed.

effeeffe sorry for hijackng your thread, im sure itll sort itself out with a kernel or other update sooner or later

Last edited by jonno2002 (2017-10-24 08:00:42)

#7 2017-10-24 09:14:57

effeeffe

miker wrote:

This sounds like the issue I read about on the archmerge forums. https://archmerge.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?id=79

I am using my laptop from a docking station, and the lid is closed - as i have external monitor connected to docking station as well.
Whenever i turn on  the laptop - i got a blank screen , my CPU goes to 100% and if i click any mouse button , then and only then will i get normal lightdm login screen.
Problem is a "known bug":
Reported Bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … ug/1410406
Solution for now is to open /etc/lightdm/lightdm-gtk-greeter.conf and at the bottom just add this line:
active-monitor=0

The info quoted above was with using gnome/lightdm, and mentioned 100% CPU usage (which wasn't mentioned by the OP) but the symptoms sound the same. Hopefully, the solution mentioned does the trick.

Now that I think of it, my CPU was also going to 100% (judging from the fan). I don't remember the mouse having any effect though.
Not happening anymore though, let's see if it's solved, otherwise I'll try that solution.

#8 2017-10-25 10:25:13

pmyjavec

This has also just started happening to me after running a full-system update, it has never ever happened to me before.

I recently updated to 4.13.8-1-ARCH (I was away and hadn't updated for a while) and now, intermittently, when opening the lid all I get is a blank screen, some fan spooling and lights on the keyboard.

I did notice that pressing any key seemed to send the laptop back into suspension (almost like toggling the power button) and hitting the actual power button would light up keyboard again.

I'll try put some logs together next time it happens. Really frustrating as the only way I can recover is hard reset.

#9 2017-10-25 13:32:21

demaio
Website

I am also experiencing (some of) this behaviour: Black screen after opening the lid and no chance to get any output. The laptop was not in hibernate or suspend mode when the lid was closed, only display off.

Switching to TTY did not work. I connected by SSH, and found nothing relevant in the journal, but I could shutdown the machine from the SSH session cleanly, so it seems this is "only" a display related bug. After enabling the magic sysrq key you can also reboot the machine more or less cleanly (EDIT: ... if you cannot or don't want to do this from another computer per SSH)

For now it only happens on one specific laptop: HP 250 G5 with this VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09)

Last edited by demaio (2017-10-25 13:35:41)

#10 2017-10-25 13:34:51

effeeffe

demaio wrote:

I am also experiencing (some of) this behaviour: Black screen after opening the lid and no chance to get any output. The laptop was not in hibernate or suspend mode when the lid was closed, only display off.

Switching to TTY did not work. I connected by SSH, and found nothing relevant in the journal, but I could shutdown the machine from the SSH session cleanly, so it seems this is "only" a display related bug. After enabling the magic sysrq key you can also reboot the machine more or less cleanly.

For now it only happens on one specific laptop: HP G250 with this VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09)

Same laptop brand and VGA as me.

#11 2017-11-13 21:55:19

pmyjavec

Are you guys using plugging in a monitor at all?

I've noticed this behaviour seems to only occur after plugging in an external display and using `xrandr` to disable the laptop display. When I'm done with the external display I re enable my native laptop display with xrandr and it works fine until my next suspend. I can get my laptop screen back online only if I re-attach my external display and run the following in a terminal:

xrandr --output eDP-1 --off
xrandr --output eDP-1 --auto

For some reason the first step is important, turning it off again.

Last edited by pmyjavec (2017-11-13 22:00:56)

Board footer