You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-20 19:13:17

tsdh
Member
From: Germany
Registered: 2014-01-07
Posts: 66

GNOME Online Accounts: Open Google Docs from GNOME Files

Hi all,

since GNOME 3.18 (or even older) it is possible to view your google docs and other files in gdrive using Files (nautilus) when you've setup you google account with GOA (GNOME Online Accounts).  As this GNOME 3.18 screencast shows, you should also be able to click a document to open it in Google Docs in the browser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxlg7yfwFmw

Well, my Google account is shown in the side-panel of GNOME Files.  I can mount this like a normal remote drive and see my files and docs.  However, when I double-click on a Google Doc or Google Sheet, I get a message dialog:

"My document" couldn't be displayed.
There is no application installed for viewing the file type "application/vnd.google-apps.document-Type".

(Literally translated from the actual German message: "My document" konnte nicht geöffnet werden.  Für den Dateityp "application/vnd.google-apps.document-Typ" ist keine Anwendung installiert.)

I've tried installing gnome-documents, and indeed, that also shows my documents and when I click one, it'll also be displayed although in a read-only mode.

But really, I would like if I can just click the docs in Files and that will fire up a new tab in Chrome and open the doc in Google Docs or Google Sheets.  So exactly as in that screencast...

Does anyone have that working and can tell me what I need to configure/install?

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB