You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-20 20:36:42

zizheng
Member
Registered: 2016-12-11
Posts: 18

[SOLVED] Can't bring up background applications in GNOME

I'm using GNOME 3.26. I used to be able to bring up applications that run in the background (e.g., Slack) by double-clicking on the app icon in the tray in the lower-left corner of my screen. The tray is hidden normally, and when you move your cursor over it, the tray will pop out and show the list of app icons.

Now the tray isn't there anymore. I can see the background apps' processes in Activity Monitor, but there is no way for me to bring them up. I just noticed this today so I suspect it's caused by a recent update. I'm not sure what's the cause.

Last edited by zizheng (2017-10-20 21:12:14)

Offline

#2 2017-10-20 20:46:36

Slithery
Administrator
From: Norfolk, UK
Registered: 2013-12-01
Posts: 5,776

Re: [SOLVED] Can't bring up background applications in GNOME

I believe that the tray you're talking about was dropped with the release of 3.26.


No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

Offline

#3 2017-10-20 20:49:03

Omar007
Member
Registered: 2015-04-09
Posts: 368

Re: [SOLVED] Can't bring up background applications in GNOME

The tray was removed in 3.26. You can use an extension to get those tray icons to be put in the top bar:
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/

Last edited by Omar007 (2017-10-20 20:49:38)

Offline

#4 2017-10-20 21:11:28

zizheng
Member
Registered: 2016-12-11
Posts: 18

Re: [SOLVED] Can't bring up background applications in GNOME

Ah that's it, thanks guys!

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB