You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-21 11:56:21

MrcJkb
Member
Registered: 2017-10-12
Posts: 23

[Solved] Workaround: Disable Caribou onscreen keyboard in GNOME

Hi everyone.
I had been looking for a solution to completely disabling GNOME's onscreen keyboard (Caribou) on my ThinkPad Yoga device.
The issue I was having was that it would pop up every time I touched the screen (even though I had the option disabled in the accessibility settings).
None of the proposed solutions I found online worked.

I have found a workaround that works for me and would like to share it here in case someone else has the same issue.

- Navigate to '/usr/share/caribou/layouts'.
- Back up all of the subdirectories
- In each of the XML files in the subdirectories, replace the content with the following:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<layout xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude">
</layout>

This will create an empty keyboard. There is another post suggesting to create an "off" layout and configure GNOME to use it, but that didn't work for me.

- Reboot

It's a messy workaround, but the only one that worked for me. Keep an eye on this bug report to see if the issue gets fixed: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=742246

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB