You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-29 17:45:44

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
From: :wq
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 10,734
Website

Recent change in behavior of Alt+F4 [SOLVED]

Until rather recently, hitting Alt+F4 would close the active window.  Now, it first drops me to TTY4 as if I hit Ctrl+Alt+F4.  When I hit Alt+F1 to return to X, the active window is closed.  Is this true for others and how can one configure the legacy behavior?  Thanks.

Xfce4 + lxdm on my system btw.

Last edited by graysky (2017-10-29 18:57:56)

Offline

#2 2017-10-29 17:56:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 30,525
Website

Re: Recent change in behavior of Alt+F4 [SOLVED]

What is "recent"?  What version of xfwm are you using?  When was it upgraded?  Did the change in behavior come with a specific WM version?

Have you tried with a new user?  Have you customized key bindings?

Given your experience level this is really not a well presented question: you can do better.

Last edited by Trilby (2017-10-29 17:57:35)


"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

Offline

#3 2017-10-29 18:16:30

x33a
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2009-08-15
Posts: 4,587

Re: Recent change in behavior of Alt+F4 [SOLVED]

Also, there's no universal behaviour for Alt+F4, as far as I know.

Offline

#4 2017-10-29 18:44:50

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
From: :wq
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 10,734
Website

Re: Recent change in behavior of Alt+F4 [SOLVED]

Trilby wrote:

What is "recent"?  What version of xfwm are you using?  When was it upgraded?  Did the change in behavior come with a specific WM version?

I wasn't aware of an update at all.  Recent in this context means I don't know the exact day the behavior changed, but since I tend to Alt+F4 pretty regularly, I would assuming it's within the past few days.

% grep xfwm /var/log/pacman.log 
[2016-05-07 02:17] [ALPM] upgraded xfwm4 (4.12.3-1 -> 4.12.3-2)
[2017-03-16 14:55] [ALPM] upgraded xfwm4 (4.12.3-2 -> 4.12.4-1)
Trilby wrote:

Have you tried with a new user?  Have you customized key bindings?

That is an excellent suggestion.  Will try it.  Yes, I have a few key bindings, but none of them use Alt+F4.

Offline

#5 2017-10-29 18:57:44

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
From: :wq
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 10,734
Website

Re: Recent change in behavior of Alt+F4 [SOLVED]

The new user has the same behavior.  Interestingly, when I logged out with the new user, X froze.  Upon a soft reboot, I cannot get my user to exhibit this behavior at all.  I have been experimenting with lxcs today, but unless they could cause some madness with my keymapping, I have no explanation for this.  In any case, I will mark the thread.  Thanks for the replies.

Offline

#6 2017-10-29 19:45:34

seth
Member
From: Won't reply 2 private help req
Registered: 2012-09-03
Posts: 78,141

Re: Recent change in behavior of Alt+F4 [SOLVED]

You control key hangs?
Run "xev -event keyboard" and press eg. Alt+h, look at the "state" flag, 0x4 is ctrl, 0x8 is alt (and 0x10 is numlock - just in case ;-)

Offline

#7 2017-10-29 20:23:44

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
From: :wq
Registered: 2008-12-01
Posts: 10,734
Website

Re: Recent change in behavior of Alt+F4 [SOLVED]

@seth - Neat trick.  For now, the behavior is normal and output is:

KeyRelease event, serial 24, synthetic NO, window 0x3e00001,
    root 0x135, subw 0x0, time 5224172, (39,-9), root:(430,333),
    state 0x18, keycode 64 (keysym 0xffe9, Alt_L), same_screen YES,
    XLookupString gives 0 bytes: 
    XFilterEvent returns: False

I will remember this the next time.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB