You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-30 11:47:26

heystove

Package upgrade sometimes kills GNOME session

Sometimes, during the installation or post-transaction hooks phase of a pacman -Syu, my GNOME session will be killed. The display server exits and, very briefly, something like `@@, @ @ @` is displayed on the tty before I'm kicked back to GDM. It does not occur with every transaction nor do specific packages trigger it.

This occurs on both X and Wayland. I've had it happen with both the default kernel as well as linux-hardened. Dmesg doesn't contain anything useful.

Any ideas? Troubleshooting tips?

Last edited by heystove (2017-10-30 11:49:04)

#2 2017-11-04 16:25:22

Shinto

Re: Package upgrade sometimes kills GNOME session

Happened today again. GNOME shell crashed somewhere in mozjs. Thanks to that mkinitcpio didn't run through (kernel got updated) and I couldn't boot anymore. Had to boot a live session and run mkinitcpio manually. This is super annoying, all thanks to Wayland.

#3 2017-11-04 16:40:48

ooo

heystove wrote:

Dmesg doesn't contain anything useful.

You should look into journal for errors. dmesg only contains kernel messages.

Try disabling all your shell extensions, one of them is most likely causing the crash.

I had gnome-shell crashing multiple times some time ago, and after disabling ds4battery extension I've had no issues. I still have dash-to-dock, topicons plus and user themes extensions enabled, and those seem to work just fine for me.

#4 2017-11-04 17:36:19

demaio
Website

I do my "pacman -Syu" from a tty, so the risk of pacman getting interrupted is smaller.

Board footer