You are not logged in.
Anybody else using GNOME with Wayland?
Transmission has an option to "Show Transmission icon in the notification area". I know that the notification area (system tray) has been depricated in GNOME 3. If I use the TopIcons Plus gnome-shell extension I can sometimes get a legacy app to show it's icon in the system tray. If I run GNOME with Xorg I can see the notification icon for Transmission. If I am running it with Wayland I do not see the icon.
I guess I'm wondering; How is the GNOME project planing to fix this? There are a few applications that need to run in the background with a visual indicator that they are running and notify the user when required. For example, I'm running the mailnag gnome-shell-extension because I need to be notified about mail. And I'm running the arch update indicator extension because I need to know about updates but can't be expected to manually check all the time. I feel that Transmission is in the same category of applications. I need it to start downloading then get out of the way when I click the [x] on the window without actually quitting the app. Then I need to beable to verify that transmission is still running an be notified once the download completes. To me the best solution for that is to have an icon in the system tray. But if closing Transmission just minimized the app to the dock (or dash) and bounced or flashed or something when the download completed that would be just as good. I know this is not the fault of the developers of the transmission app. It was GNOME that pulled the notification area. I don't know if there is any good solution for this right now but is this ever going to be addressed?
Discuss ....
Offline
I guess this thread falls under https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … shed.22.29
Nevertheless, I suppose the only solution would be creating non-x11 dependant standard for notification area icons and port every application to use that standard.
Offline
Plenty of us happily use Wayland! Wayland does not provide tray icons for native apps. See:
https://github.com/transmission/transmission/issues/107
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=758677
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1389875
and more recently https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=785956.
The GNOME "way" now is to not close apps "to the tray'' and instead just run Transmission in a different workspace.
Offline